1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Artist based resources

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by amypoole, May 11, 2016.

1. amypoole

amypoole New commenter

As part of our new curriculum the children need to look at biographies of the artists we are studying. I was wondering if anyone had any advice about the best place to purchase books about artists for primary school aged children, or also where I could purchase a set of good quality images of various artists work (maybe some kind of resource pack for example)

Thanks in advance!

2. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Hi,
    There is a lovely series about Katie's Picture Show. Katie goes to a gallery and suddenly finds herself in the picture. Monet is one of the artists and Katie meets his family and goes into several of Monet's paintings. It is a delightful story and links to other books by the same author, James Mayhew. I have used these books to introduce the Impressionists and then moved onto the Post Impressionists. It was very successful and we had some beautiful attempts at reproducing the artists style.
    I have some resource photo packs too I think they were produced by Taschen. They are about A3 in size and I purchase them from a local bookshop. I ask the children to be detectives and discuss the paintings.
    Another method I use is to collect books of postcards of artists and use these to pass around at a circle time session. Once the children start to recognise the style you can add other artists in and eventually the children can distinguish between several artists.
    I also look at local artists work. I encourage the children to go to the local gallery and art trails. I give them leaflets etc only a few go but if I inspire one child it is enough. I hope this helps.