1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Artificial insemination as a single parent

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by sunshine23, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I would like your opinions please. I have been single for a long time and have also been thinking about using a sperm bank to become pregnant for a long time. I understand the enormous pressure and hard work of being a single parent, but feel I would be able to do this. I am fortunate that I have lots of close support around me from family and friends. I feel that I would be a very good Mum to the child. There is one thing that is holding me back from going ahead though. Is it unfair to bring a child into the world when they will never know their father? I know alot of children are in single parent families, but most of the time they know their father too. I would love to hear your opinions on this please,
    Thank you

2. The first time I met my father I was 22. I never knew him as a child, and didn't have another 'father figure' there, apart from my grandfather. I don't think it harmed me in any way.
    A friend of mine became pregnant last year through artificial insemination. She is single, and like you, had been wanting children for a while. She now has a beautiful 6 month old and is loving every minute of it. Her parents live near and help her out a bit, sounds quite similar to you! I would say to go for it! Good luck x

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I've PM'd you.

4. Thanks so much for both your replies, very helpful! x

5. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Google the Donor Conception Network for support and advice.