1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Article on transmission of Covid in schools

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blazer, Aug 9, 2020.

1. ukpaul

ukpaul Occasional commenter

'I was only following orders' is not going to be a good line to take.

magic surf bus likes this.
  2. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Insulting remark

3. red_observer

The heat must be getting to you today

4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Says the man who can't accept the science on masks for some weird reason.

5. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

This is the second time in the last few days where you've claimed something was insulting when it clearly wasn't.

...and then you follow it up with an actual insult.

6. red_observer

Again when have I said that. Please apologise unless you can find the statement you are unable to find... because I never said it. Do you want to be the 5th?

7. red_observer

So you don’t know the origins of your comment? How uneducated are you?

8. Scintillant

You will not accept that masks should be worn to reduce transmission.

Or will you?

9. Scintillant

Don't start advertising.

You might be surprised at the response.

Yes, make me number five.

And counting.

10. red_observer

Just thought we were on the same wavelength that’s All...

11. red_observer

Yes they will reduce transmission... obviously they will.

12. koali

koali New commenter

What I dont understand is - whats wrong with erring on the side of caution here and wearing face coverings?
    That appears to be what the german scientists are suggesting this week and it would appear to also fit in with the earlier articles mentioned.
    (Notice I say coverings - we are not going to divert resorces from the NHS with this because a face covering is not a medical respirator or even a surgical grade mask!)
    Schools should reflect what is going on in wider society and surely the" wear a face covering to protect others" is the message that matters?
    Nobody seems to be knocking the ideas that a face covering will dramatically reduce the spread of droplets should you be infected without knowing and exhale acitve virus.
    Not allowing me or the students to wear a face covering at work when we feel 1M+ distancing is not possible is denying us the right to act as responsible citizens to protect others as you would when entering a shop or other public premises.
    I am only slightly worried at the idea of going back and potentially catching the virus. I am far more worried that I might spread it without realising and cause someone else to become seriously ill.
    I listen to the politicians saying that these face coverings are not needed because I am only going to come into contact with the same people every day. In a secondary school? Really ?In the last draft of my "emergency timetable", assuming groups of about 25 students, I will be coming into contact with over 300 different students.
    Thats a very big bubble.

strawbs, Nanny Ogg, jubilee and 3 others like this.
  13. BillyBobJoe

Better educated than you, apparently, as I know the difference between a general statement that references a possible future behaviour and an insult.

14. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Lots of people who would agree to wearing masks in a shop aren't comfortable with the 'wear the masks at school and all will be well' idea.
    Several worry that a mask worn all day, while you're talking (maybe even shouting), will not protect in the same way as when you wear one in Tesco for half an hour.
    Some Deaf children are absolutely terrified about the idea of going to a school where teachers wear masks, arguing that if schools are so dangerous, they shouldn't be trying to open FT for all.

It doesn't mean that you don't think Covid is serious just because you don't think teachers should wear masks.

elder_cat likes this.
  15. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

If the risk of contracting Covid 19 is very high, so high that everyone must wear a face mask all the time - then it is not wise for schools to open.
    I am also wary that we have quite a lot of naughty children in our schools. They won't be worried about wearing a mask and will undo any good by removing it soon as - or bothering teachers by threatening to do so so, etc etc.
    So track and trace might be the way to go.

16. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

It it very high? 0.0013% of being found infected yesterday.

17. BillyBobJoe

Nobody is saying "all will be well". I'm saying that, given that schools are re-opening, we should do it in the safest way possible.

I'm aware that a damp mask needs to be changed. I fully intend to take spares (washable) and change them through the day.

Clearly there should be exemptions where needed, as for deaf children. The point is that you make the adjustments you can.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  18. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Gavin Williamson claims that the "latest research, which is expected to be published later this year - one of the largest studies on the coronavirus in schools in the world - makes it clear there is little evidence that the virus is transmitted at school".

If this is to be believed, how come he has seen it but nobody else has said they have seen it, and its publication hardly seems to be imminent?

bombaysapphire likes this.
  19. BillyBobJoe

It's a study of schools in England in June when they were running at less than 50% capacity and were able to both socially distance and keep doors and windows open for ventilation. Plus the vast majority of kids back in school were primary, not secondary, and all the evidence points to secondary being by far the larger risk.

LiamD likes this.
  20. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Useless, if that is the case.