1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Article on IT qualifications and skills shortage

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by allaboutclait, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Thought you might like to look at this article on the decreasing numbers of students sitting IT A-levels.

2. Thought you might like to look at this article on the decreasing numbers of students sitting IT A-levels.

3. Not this again. Every few years there's an article on the IT skills shortage with employers bleating that the skills aren't there.

Then you go on the job pages and find ads that run like:

IT professional wanted. Must have minimum 5 years experience using Windows NT4, Server 2008 and XP, Linux, UNIX, FreeBSD, C++, C#, Fortran, COBOL and Pascal on a daily basis. Applicant will also need to be able to juggle, put up shelves without tools and identify B grade celebrity's from a blind artist's sketch of their ***. Starting pay £17,000, must be willing to be flexible which, lets face it, means working evenings and weekends for free.

The truth is that employers either need to request a less disparate range of skills, i.e a range that only one in a million could provide, and employ more than one person, or they can take option B, which is to hire a herd of programmers in a 3rd world country for less money. If "the cloud" turns out be more than trendy vapourware and your data can be stored anywhere I suspect the latter will happen. In that case, avoiding IT as a career is probably a good move.

4. I think there actually is an issue with competent developers (which it would seem many modern CS and certainly IT graduates are not).
    The mishmash that is I(C)T is unwanted by anyone. It is easier to train (for example) a designer to use a web page editor than it is to train an ICT person to design.