1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Article 13 and Tes Resources

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by tesAuthorTeam, Apr 5, 2019.

1. tesAuthorTeam

tesAuthorTeam Administrator Staff Member TES Authors' forum host

Hi there,

In the last fortnight we’ve had some questions from authors about what Article 13 and the European Copyright Directive means for Tes Resources.

Obviously, we’ve been monitoring its development closely in recent months, including the recent vote in favour of it by the European Parliament. While sympathetic to its goal, we (like many tech companies) don’t think it takes the right approach,

However, we’re not planning to lose any sleep over it at this time and nor should our authors. There are a few reasons for this.

Firstly, it doesn’t actually appear from the final text of the directive that Tes Resources would even be one of the sites it covers. Tes Resources is an online marketplace, and these are explicitly exempted from the directive.

Even though it may not apply to us, we will be working to be as compliant as possible to it in any case. We actively don’t want users uploading copyright material to Tes whatever happens. We’ve done a lot of work over the last year to improve our takedown procedures, and we are going to continue working to ensure that only original content is uploaded to the site.

While copyright problems are relatively rare on Tes given the scale of material, if it helps make uploader more careful that could even be a benefit.

So we’ll be watching to see firstly if the European Council now passes it, and, if so, what further details then emerge in the run-up to its implementation. Hope that’s reassuring.

Michael Shaw

Director, Tes Resources

2. Lead_Practitioner

Lead_Practitioner New commenter

Unfortunately because this wasn't emailed out to authors this is the first time I've seen this post!

3. blowswind

blowswind Occasional commenter

4. tesAuthorTeam

Yes - it's an example of the kind of thing that we wouldn't email all our authors about because there's no action required. But we can use these forums to provide a bit more insight for those keener to know what we're doing.

I'm pondering if I should do a more regular general update on what we've been doing, in addition to the kinds of posts on tests / promotions we currently put out.

All the best,

Michael Shaw
    (Tes Resources Director)

5. ClassroomChemist

ClassroomChemist New commenter

this would be very helpful

6. Lead_Practitioner

Agreed

7. Lead_Practitioner

I didn't know only cases where actions are required would see emails sent out - is there not a way that topics initiated by the TES author team on the forums could be emailed to all TES users so that everyone is going to the same place for updates?

For me it's just a case of knowing where I'm supposed to look for updates and information and if I have to check the forums and emails for different bits of info then it gets a little complicated, I'd just like one place where everything that needs to be sent is sent to everyone it concerns.

8. tesAuthorTeam

Thanks @Lead_Practitioner - flattered you're so keen to receive my thoughts on stuff!

I think on the bigger potential issues like this one you're right I should probably include them in blogs we send out to authors, so I'll have a ponder the best way to do that.

Sometimes there may be smaller things that we just want to share only for those who are keenly interested, so we may do that here. There's a risk to spamming people. But we'll learn from the response!

If you want regular automated emails on this forum though, you can set that up in the "Watch forum" settings.

All the best,

Michael Shaw
    (Director, Tes Resources)

9. tesAuthorTeam

@Lead_Practitioner

Further to Michael's post above, we tend to communicate to authors in the following ways:

All essential communication, especially those that require action, will be emailed to you.

The Author Academy Announcements section will update you on our activity that you may be interested to know about or may answer a question you have about something you've seen on the site.

This forum is for discussion of any further topics that the community may want to raise, such as what Article 13 might (do remember this has not yet been passed) mean for future activity. We become aware of issues through multiple sources and when it is a discussion topic this is the logical place to host that discussion.

[Richard]

Lead_Practitioner likes this.
  10. Lead_Practitioner

I know this is starting to get a little 'meta' but maybe some form of communication about how communication is communicated might be of use to everyone! :D

EC_Resources likes this.