1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Arthroscopy

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by justbrowsing, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Having not long returned to work after a spell of depression I am off again after 3 days this term with a dodgy knee. I am booked for an arthroscopy on Tuesday. If you have had this procedure how much time did you need off work? My consultant is advising at least 2 weeks, 1 week if I were in a more sedentary type job but from your experience is this likely to be realistic?

2. Having not long returned to work after a spell of depression I am off again after 3 days this term with a dodgy knee. I am booked for an arthroscopy on Tuesday. If you have had this procedure how much time did you need off work? My consultant is advising at least 2 weeks, 1 week if I were in a more sedentary type job but from your experience is this likely to be realistic?

3. What will they be doing in the course of the arthroscopy? Just going in for a look? A washout? A cartilage trim? The recovery time will vary with the procedure.
    I had a cartilage trim and wash-out and was up and doing in ten days.

4. As lily said, it will all depend on the actual procedure.
    I was signed off for 7 weeks after my arthroscopy.

5. I have had an MRI and have damaged cartilage so a cartilage trim.
    I suppose I am worried about the impact of another absence so soon after returning to work last term.
    How does the 100 days sick pay work--is that per absence, in a calendar year, academic year?

6. Just to buck the trend, I was on my feet with a bandage on after my first arthroscopy when I was 35-(mainly a flush out from doing lots of sport ) and never needed a stick or anything. I started a new job the following week working as an instructor in a centre for disabled people-so there were no stairs which was very helpful.
    I just want to illustrate that you can't always plan your own recovery from other peoples experiences. I understand that it's difficult to walk on your bad knee, but the more exercises you can do beforehand to tone your quads and glutes on both legs, the faster your recovery should be-try and find some sitting/lying on the bed exercises you can do beforehand (these are usually the same as you should be given post op).
    I'm now 21 years down the line on knee surgery and had a partial knee replacement last Saturday (3rd) My surgeon said that the usual recovery time is 4-6weeks but knowing me it would be more like 3!

7. Varies between LAs and, latterly, academies. In ours it's a rolling year.

8. Procedure complete although much more extensive damage than orginally indicated on MRI. Now to recovery asap!

9. How long did your recovery take in the end, justbrowsing? I am due to have a similar proceedure.

10. I took 2 weeks off and wish Id asked for longer as I realised once I was back at school just how sore my knee was when I was unable to sit with it up for prolonged periods.
    Full recovery takes about 3 months. I still find kneeling tentative and have some discomfort when bending. My physio says my recovery is normal.
    Good luck!

11. I was originally signed off for 2 weeks but this was extended to 3 weeks when I went back to see the consultant. I was very pleased I had 3 weeks because it was still very sore and swollen at the start of the third week but was able to walk more comfortably by the time I returned to work.

12. Thanks both - that's good to know.
    To be honest, I'd rather not rush back as I work in a fairly challenging school and am highly likely to get jostled in the corridors :(

13. Just wishing to revive this post. I have an old cartilage injury (many years) which is niggling again. In the 'good old days' my GP just said, 'Yes, it's a cartilage injury' and 'rest it'. If you've had cartilage problems more recently, would you expect today's hard-stretched NHS to do anything? It takes so long to see the GP, let alone a consultant.