1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Arthritis in hands. wrists, elbows...

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by rayondesoleil1976, Aug 18, 2015.

1. rayondesoleil1976

rayondesoleil1976 Occasional commenter

is there anyone else here with a similar condition? How do you cope with things like writing and typing? I'm painfree today but was quite sore yesterday - it's never predictable how I will be.

Thanks for any ideas!

2. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Might be worth looking into speech recognition software packages such as Dragon. If you have a diagnosis then occupational health may be able to help with stuff such as this.

3. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

I use Salonpas Pain Relief patches combined with ibuprofen when the pain is really bad. Mine is worst in the thumb joints but it's difficult to manage because although the pain is very intense, usually it only lasts a few minutes, so by the time the painkillers kick in, I don't need them.

4. housesparrow

housesparrow New commenter

There are some diets out there which have helped some people eg Marguerite Patten - Eat to Beat Arthritis; Giraud Campbell - A Doctor's Proven New Home Cure for Arthritis; Margaret Hills - Curing Arthritis the Drug Free way. Zone Antiinflamation diet. After a while, you may find books contradict each other - but may give some pointers as they have for me towards foods to avoid which can help. I avoid gluten, alcohol and milk chocolate and feel a lot better for it.

5. sopsychedout

sopsychedout New commenter

My mother uses flexiseq.

PS. My sympathies as your wrists etc sound like my back in terms of predictability (I don't have arthritis but have also found myself in the position of not being able to write and wondering how good I day I'll have). It's horrible, isn't it?

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Nature's Plus Glucosamine with Chondroitin (Joint Ultra X?) cream. It's in a green and white tube (they do several types of cream) and costs £14-95 per tube.

My mother-in-law used it on her knees (one tube per month) and was able to dispense with all painkillers. Her sister now uses it and so does my mother (one her wrists ).

I have a 'gammy' shoulder which is apparently from a frozen shoulder injury years ago. It flares up from time to time, especially at night. I simply apply the cream and am able to fall asleep within a short time (much quicker than resorting to tablets).

I have to order it in for all the family at my independent Health shop. The shopkeeper no longer stocks it. She says that people plump for the cheaper alternatives but they are nowhere near as effective ... but she can't risk having it on the shelf and running out of date.

A friend recently fell down stairs and bruised her coccyx. She was in agony and had spent two uncomfortable weeks, with painkillers really not helping much. I gave her my tube of cream to try. She didn't tell her husband about it. The next day he commented on how she seemed so much better. She doesn't know if was a coincidence that her pain eased up so much overnight but she carried on using the cream until all aches ceased!

7. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Sour cherry juice (I think Holland & Barratt sell it) is an anti inflammatory as is pineapple juice I knew someone who was in such agony she tried it all, still ended up with pain patches though. I do feel for those with arthritis as it can be so debilitating. All the best.

8. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

9. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Hi. Are you female, and what type of arthritis is it?

10. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

No further replies, but the thread views keep going up so I am assuming many people are curious.

So I just wanted to point out, that many inflammatory type arthritis pains flare according to your menstrual cycle. I am only just establishing this, and it is probably common knowledge, but for me it wasn't.

Oestrogen levels drop before your period, and at menopause, and are at their highest during ovulation/pregnancy. I have absolutely excruciating joint pain the week before my period, but because they are irregular, I had never linked the two. The pain is dreadful, like a deep deep ache that makes it impossible to turn keys, open lids, turn door handles etc, and nothing touches it, but then it just goes - now I know why.

Just thought I would point it out if anyone was struggling, it may be worth looking into- the pill being an obvious solution I suppose. Not for me I'm afraid, but I would leap at the chance if I could.

rayondesoleil1976 likes this.
  11. rayondesoleil1976

I seem to have improved over the winter - yes, I have Raynaud's and I have mild aches but nothing compared to how I was feeling when I posted this. Two reasons I think for this - I was just after the cold when I experienced this flare up and I am affected by UV light. I was enjoying the late burst of summer at the time, not fully aware of the impact of UV light on my Lupus. Now wear sunblock every day but am now deficient in vitamin D.... Swings and roundabouts! I'm also aware of the hormonal thing as well. It can be a lot worse at certain times of the month.

12. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

My husband has been taking Gopo & seems to think it's helping.

13. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

My mother had excruciating Reynaud's, going on to develop diffuse cutaneous scleroderma. She found taking Ginkgo Biloba helped with circulation.

14. rayondesoleil1976

Thanks. I actually have an overlap with Limited Scleroderma. I take Calcium Channel Blockers. They really help. I was warned off Ginko because it's a blood thinner and I'm already on aspirin. Sometime I think I'd make great glue...

Noja likes this.
  15. Sally_90

Sally_90 Occasional commenter

Got to admit I'm suffering at the moment. I'm just getting over the flu and it's made the pain in my joints seem ten times worse; maybe it's because I'm still under the weather. Marking is particularly challenging as I can feel one of the joints in my index finger actually grind as I'm holding the pen, so I keep having to stop. A friend has recommended these gloves, says she swears by them. I'm going to give them a go:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=arthritis+gloves

16. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I have fairly low level arthritis in my fingers and hand but what I assumed to be arthritic pain in my hand, elbow and arm turned out (when I finally went to the doctor and then physio) to be a problem with my shoulder, and nothing to do with arthritis. Two sessions of physio and I was completly cured, which was not what I had expected! My arthritis is getting worse but I realise that i mustn't attribute everything to it. Make sure it's proplery checked out.

17. rayondesoleil1976

Also had my thyroid checked - was very underactive - and my vitamin D checked - was severely depleted. I've had both issues addressed and I suddenly have more energy and hurt less. My Raynaud's is playing up at the minute despite the medication and wearing warm clothes! Still it is nowhere near as bad as it was a couple of years ago so I'm grateful!