1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Arthritis and tiredness

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by oxfordblue, Nov 26, 2011.

1. oxfordblue

oxfordblue New commenter

Hello,
    I've recently been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis (sp?!) and was wondering if anyone else with arthritis experiences excessive tiredness.
    I'm only 28 and am still getting used to the idea of having RA. I'm not having a good day today - very painful knees, ankles and wrists especially. The joint pain I expect as part of RA and hopefully I'll be able to get it under sort of control. The tiredness though is just awful.
    I am permanently tired - even getting up to 10 hours sleep a night. I've asked my doctor about tiredness and other things have been ruled out. At the moment I'm not in the UK so am waiting to return in about a month to see a Rheumatologist who hopefully will be able to help but for now would be good to hear about other people's experiences with RA and tiredness.
    OB

2. Yes, yes and Yes.

I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis, which is part of the RA group and fatigue is a big part of it,
    particularly when you get a flare up and it is probabbly the one
    employers understand least.

The only thing you can do is rest.

I was daignosed at age 26, so I know what it is like to get the diagnosis young.

When you see the rhumatologist ask about disease modifying drugs, physiotherapy and orthotics.
    Some
    of the meds have quite nasty side effects, but they reduce over time,
    some are quite nasty after years of taking them but there is a lot that
    can be done.

I've found hydrotherapy helpful, but I'm now
    in an area where there isn't a pool, and learnign British Sign Language
    really helped with my hands, better than the 'propper' physio.

Most of my joints are effected and I'm now permenantly disabled, that took some getting used to, your body changes but your mind till thinks it can do thing.
    You will learn to live with this, and you will learn to plan, I know there are certain things I can do that will put me in bed for a day or two, and sometimes that is worth it.

Not sure if you are male or female and know nothing about about your personal life but if you are female and you are prescribed methotrexate you must not get pregnant.

If you are not prescribed it and you do want to be pregnant (and you are not male) then RA symptoms often disapear during pregnancy.

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

Mr inky has been offered methotrexate for his psoriasis [which Included arthritis of the hands] but he absolutely rejects the idea of taking something so toxic when he can live with the pain and the misery of psoriasis.

4. Yes Hydrotherapy is availbaleon the NHS but not everywhere.

5. Look up 'spoon theory' - pretty good description of the effects of fatigue.

6. oxfordblue

oxfordblue New commenter

Thanks for that post about 'spoong theory' jazz2. IT really does explain it clearly! I'm down to my last spoon for the day though, so an early night for me!