1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Arthritis & Marking

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Armchair Rebel, Jan 28, 2012.

1. I have been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in my hands and fingers, I have started to find marking hard work and painful. Has anyone else used a label maker/printer for marking? If so what have you found useful or successful? Many Thanks!

2. Can you mark online? It depends on the age group of course, but the older a student is, the more likely they are to be word processing work anyway, If it is emailed to you, can you use a keyboard to mark, rather than a pencil, particularly if you get one for stiff hands, molded with big keys, etc. Even if the work is not done on the computer, can you write comments and feedback on the computer, print off and stick in books? You might even be able to use voice recognition software to avaiod using the computer keyboard at all, just dictate the feedback into the microphone, and it will write it for you.

3. How crass.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

How pompous.

5. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/Employmentsupport/WorkSchemesAndProgrammes/DG_4000347

6. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

The above link will get you through to advisers who know alll the options.

7. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Nutella - I thought your post was rude. No need.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I suppose it was. I apologise. I suppose I joked because my hands are riddled with arthritis too though I can see that's not a very good reason! It wasn't intended to be rude; just the jocularity of a fellow sufferer.

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

[​IMG]

10. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Sometimes it's hard to judge tone on here Nutella.
    It's been a long day ...

11. Thanks for the apology, Nutella. I am sorry to hear of the pain you are in. How do you cope with the marking?

Thanks to others for some suggestions - I have marked online before. I teach secondary History and it is appropriate to some essays. but I was thinking about book marking more specifically. I had a look at some label makers and printers which I could use, but I don't want to splash out on a piece of kit I won't use!

12. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Couldn't you print some labels on your pc? I do that sometimes and type something like:-

For this piece of work you have achieved Level ______

to achieve level _________ , you need to ...

and then I have a list of bullet points (well 3 or 4) and then I just tick or cross the ones they have/haven't done

I also have stampers from a well-known educational supplier (am allowed to say the name?) just for saying excellent or whatever

I don't have arthritis, for which I am very grateful and am sorry you are suffering - I just do this to save time.

Hope you come up with a solution soon

13. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Have you tried using highlighters instead of pens? A colleague does this and has found them easier to manage because of their size.

14. A while ago I had a problem with my wrist which made writing legibly impossible, although typing wasn't a problem, so I bought a Dymo Labelwriter. I found this very useful for marking, so I bought one for school as well (my line manager agreed to fund it as it was for work).

When marking a set of books I would create a variety of comments and eventually could copy and paste from a selection of different options, saving a bit of time.

Most recently I bought one with two rolls so I can use two different sizes of labels depending on how much I need to write and how much space there is for a label.

15. I use a proppelling pencil for minor comments such as correcting punctuation - they then get a typed sheet more detailed comments. Depending on what you are marking you an do a tick sheet and extra comments - you can use a mail merge to produce individual comments and use voice recognition to write detailed re;pies.

Have you had an access to work assessement?

16. Thanks for the advice folks.

I have been given three long forms to fill in by Personnel. They have located a label printer for me to try out.