1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Arthritis...again....

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by polly.glot, Oct 28, 2011.

1. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

I have very sore hands and fingers that are becoming knobbly and distorted (just like my Grandmas!). Other than taking anti-inflams, does anyone know what I should be doing? Can the doc prescribe anything other than the above? Getting an appointment with school so busy is difficult right now....

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Try to exercise them as much as you can. Knitting and crocheting are good for this and playing with those anti stress squeezy balls- you can buy them in Tiger v cheaply. Non steroidal anti inflams are not supposed to be prescribed for the over 60s any more because of the damage they can do.

3. Glucosamine with Chrondritin.
    My fingers are getting really knobbly, I knit all the time and it definitely makes them ache more!! My mum used to play the piano to keep her aches at bay.

4. Have you sought medical advice on this? If so, has anyone advised you on what kind of arthritis you have i.e. is it inflammatory (rheumatoid) or is it due to wear and tear? If you have rheumatoid arthritis, you should really be seeing a rheumatologist as this illness is systemic and could well be affecting other parts of your body. You should be on meds to keep it under control.

If it is down to wear and tear, then all the above suggestions are helpful.