1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ARTHOG help

Discussion in 'School trips' started by grantyardley, Sep 20, 2016.

1. grantyardley

grantyardley New commenter

I've been a TA for 8 months now and I've been asked to go to arthog with the class which is something I'd love to do I've taken a copy of the kit list, are there any extras as a TA I should take?Also no one in my house owns a single bed or sheet set, is this required or can we use sleeping bags?

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Few more details needed

How many nights away?
    How many kids?
    What age are the kids?
    How many other staff?
    What is arthog? Is it outdoors/adventure or indoors?
    What sort of sleeping accommodation is supplied (Dorms or individual rooms, ensuite or shared bathrooms)?

I would have thought that bedding, if required would be on the kit list. Ask whoever is leading the trip, have they been before or has anyone else in the school been before?

3. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

4. grantyardley

grantyardley New commenter

4 nights, 29 kids, year 6, 3 other staff, Arthog is an outdoor education centre, I think it's dorms I'll double check the kit list to see but I don't recall seeing it

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Take plenty of T shirts and things like that so you can wear layers. You can always wear an outside T shirt more than once.
    Take plenty of treats for yourself (snacks, sweets etc)
    I would also put a couple of bottles of wine (screw top) in for 4 nights unless your school has a no alcohol policy.
    Take a book

Yr 6. If no-one else has thought of it put some sanitary towels/pads in for the girls.

Just looked at the kit list and it says NOT a sleeping bag so it looks like you will need to borrow a sheet and duvet cover!
    Experience has told me to put in a roll of black bin liners so that the kids can put wet clothing in them and keep the damp away from their dry clothes.
    Spare towel because some kid will always forget theirs
    Soluble paracetamol or calpol (Kids won't take tablets)
    Sick bags for the journey there and back
    Roll of kitchen tissue
    Camera

6. frustum

frustum Star commenter

With respect to paracetamol/calpol, I'm pretty certain that should be taken care of by the trip organiser, and nobody else should be issuing any medication whatsoever. Also check policy on cameras: there may be a policy that only school cameras should be used when it comes to taking photos of the children.

If it's like the outdoor residential I did, acquire some cheap shoes and charity-shop tracksuit bottoms/leggings that can be thrown out if necessary.

I'm sure a colleague will be able to lend you a duvet cover and sheet, or else a parent.

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Why would you want to lend a parent? ;)