1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Artaud Practically

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by Betty the penguin, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Hi,

I'm teaching Artaud for the first time and would like to do a workshop style lesson. I have quite a few exercises but wondered if anyone had any ideas to help the pupils really get the idea of him.

any ideas would be really appreciated.

thanks

2. Hi,

I'm teaching Artaud for the first time and would like to do a workshop style lesson. I have quite a few exercises but wondered if anyone had any ideas to help the pupils really get the idea of him.

any ideas would be really appreciated.

thanks

3. turn off the lights and scream...

I did Jet of Blood, with the students making it as Artaudian as poss. they turned off the lights and screamed...

4. Why not look at the 3 influences of Artaud? I got that from one of the A'level teaching books.

Balinese dancers - he loved the gesture and facial expressions they used.

Lot and his daughters - he used to go and see this painting all the time. He loved the contrast between chaos and peace in the picture.

Marx brother's films - Again, he loved the contrast between normality and craziness. I show my group a clip from 'Animal Crackers'.

Sorry there isn't much detail, I'm just remembering off the top of my head! It can all be researched on the web.

I get the pupils to physicalise abstract feelings and emotions like hunger, grief, anger.

Have fun! I love Artaud.

5. As an intro to the ideas of Artaud, I get my students to share their weirdest dreams. (They love this) They then have to pick 3 - 4 images and create them in a montage. This could be mimed, with chants, music, shouting, whispering etc they should aim to make their audience uncomfortable or shock them. It is important they understand that their performance does not have to make sense and does not have to have a narrative and nor should it have any realistic dialogue. I find these dream sequences help to move them away from naturalistic drama.

6. teachur

teachur New commenter

"turn off the lights and scream..."

Dammit, that is exactly what i was going to say!

7. twigtwig

twigtwig New commenter

i only do a little bit on him....

i do the theatre and it's double so i get them to mime somebody smoking and seeing the real pleasure they get from each drag really loving it.

then they become the smokers lungs and now mime how they react with each drag then mix these two together adding some music and lights....strobe always works ok.

then the students come up with their own doubles.....and perform.

Then if that fails i turn the lights off and scream!

8. if you type in Artaud or jet of blood into you tube you will get a great clip which you can show your class! also if you post your school add i can post you a piece of work i use in contrast using some script and direction from nights of the round table! :0)

9. Brilliant thanks, loads of tips there, going to use them all at some point. can i email you my school ad please, so u can post me that stuff, thanks again.

10. I am desparately looking for the script/play of Jet of Blood by Artaud. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I assume it is part of one of Artaud's anthologies, but which one?

11. Hi,

I've got an Artaud workshop outline that I did with my AS group if you would like it - I could email to you.I hadn't taught Artaud before and didn't know where to start so I know hoe you feel! Also got a powerpoint that goes with it. Good luck!

12. Hi there
    teaching in NZ and would love a copy of workshop- can you e mail to gst@spotswoodcollege.school.nz
    Would be really grateful- resources scarce out here- or v expensive!

13. the JEt of Blood was v kindly sent to me as a photocopy coz I couldn't find it anywhere.

happy to scan and email

ask me
    flutterbyplant@ hotmail. co.uk

(take out gaps)

14. Any Artaud ideas/execises would be great - esp for 10 minute micro teaches.

email me petey.hearn@virgin.net

15. Hi emilabo27

Could you be kind enough to put your Artaud scheme and PP on the TES resources. I want to look at Artaud in Sep and it would be great to have a look at this first. If not could you email it to me maxdawn76@yahoo.co.uk

thanks again

16. I echo the last comment-would be awesome if it was on the resource board. However, if not could I ask for a email of it please? Thanks so much

samr@bramptonmanor.newham.sch.uk

17. I was just wondering if you might still have these resources - and if I could ask you to email them?! It would be very helpful!
    My email address is powelle@downehouse.net.
    Thank you!

18. fnc

fnc

I'd be more inclined to strobe the lights and break the language down into syllables. Whilst he was into shocking his audiences out of the complacent (and very staid and very formalised) French lifestyles and language he expected it to be meaningful. He rewrote the rules of improvisation to make it completely spontaneous (no planning); he believed in breaking down the language (c.f. Berkoff) and he was surealist.