1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Art - Year 5 (observation) advice needed please?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mrsrutherford2012, Jan 14, 2012.

1. I'm a trainee teacher and my tutor wants to come along to see me teach an Art lesson, as we're going to the National Gallery the day before her visit.

I enjoy Art, but i'm not doing any lessons at this school as they are taken during my PPA time - so this will be a one off lesson.
    I've asked to see Henri Rousseu Surpris (tiger in the woods painting) which I love, and then I thought i could base the lesson around this.

My plan in my head, is to segment a copy of the picture into enough squares for each child.

Option A:To base the lesson on mark making - so provide the children with fine felt tips, pencils, pastels, etc - and the children will experiment with making different marks.

Option B: To base the lesson on tone and colour - so to get the children to experiment with mixing different shades of paint and to experiment with colour - I thought I could give them VERY fine brushes so that they can really experiment with it.

My problem is this: the school I am at use the QCA schemes of work, and my idea just doesn't fit in. So either I go against the schemes, which will upset the class teacher -OR - well - or i don't but then i have no idea what to teach!

Any ideas or advice would be great as I'm starting to worry about this!

2. I'm a trainee teacher and my tutor wants to come along to see me teach an Art lesson, as we're going to the National Gallery the day before her visit.

I enjoy Art, but i'm not doing any lessons at this school as they are taken during my PPA time - so this will be a one off lesson.
    I've asked to see Henri Rousseu Surpris (tiger in the woods painting) which I love, and then I thought i could base the lesson around this.

My plan in my head, is to segment a copy of the picture into enough squares for each child.

Option A:To base the lesson on mark making - so provide the children with fine felt tips, pencils, pastels, etc - and the children will experiment with making different marks.

Option B: To base the lesson on tone and colour - so to get the children to experiment with mixing different shades of paint and to experiment with colour - I thought I could give them VERY fine brushes so that they can really experiment with it.

My problem is this: the school I am at use the QCA schemes of work, and my idea just doesn't fit in. So either I go against the schemes, which will upset the class teacher -OR - well - or i don't but then i have no idea what to teach!

Any ideas or advice would be great as I'm starting to worry about this!

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

If you use the tone and colour idea I think it could fit with this part of the QCA for Year 5:
    http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20100612050234/http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/schemes2/art/art5a/05aq2?view=get
    Objective: Children should learn
    - to select and record from first-hand observation
    - to compare ideas, methods and approaches in their own and others' work and say what they think and feel about them.
    <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">

<tr>
    <td colspan="2" class="content1"></td></tr>
    <tr>
    <td colspan="2">
    </td></tr>
    </table>You could suggest (I think) that this painting is a still life and so also look some of the other objectives, if you don't like this one, at how this painting could be used for this unit.

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Been thinking - don't think you could get away with calling it a still life really - too much of a stretch.
    How about getting some long-leaved plants or grasses though if you can (there may be pot plants in the school reception or other classrooms) and try to get the children to match colours and tones in the same way (style) as Rousseau? You could look at the page in my link and concentrate on the colour, tone and texture part of it. You could still then do the experiment with colour that you mentioned, linking it with the leaves in the jungle of the painting.
    Hope this helps.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Great idea there marlin! (As usual)