1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Art Week - An artist I can relate to maths with Year 1!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by impulce, Jan 26, 2011.

1. We do a whole school Art week, and this year we need to link it in with maths. We have been asked to choose an artist to base our work around.
    I am absolutely clueless when it comes to Art but would love to do some graphics art on the computers and like the idea of creating rotational symmetry pictures, or normal symmetrical pictures using a graphics package.
    Does anyone have any idea of an artist I could use as my stimulus (no matter how vaguely related!)
    Or, for that matter, any artist that I could relate to maths with my Year 1 class in any way at all!?

2. We do a whole school Art week, and this year we need to link it in with maths. We have been asked to choose an artist to base our work around.
    I am absolutely clueless when it comes to Art but would love to do some graphics art on the computers and like the idea of creating rotational symmetry pictures, or normal symmetrical pictures using a graphics package.
    Does anyone have any idea of an artist I could use as my stimulus (no matter how vaguely related!)
    Or, for that matter, any artist that I could relate to maths with my Year 1 class in any way at all!?

3. Mondrian. It's all squares!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Who is that snail man? Matisse?

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

6. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I was going to day Mondrian too, or maybe Picasso as he used a lot of geometric shapes. Op art is another good one but dont know the name of individual op artists.

7. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Not Picasso, Kandinsky! Dont know why I got them confused!

8. Kandinsky would be perfect.
    http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/kandinsky/kandinsky.comp-8.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/kandinsky/&usg=__l_CzQaDCUzKhMqcTHutk8AOS2Ig=&h=755&w=1090&sz=140&hl=en&start=0&sig2=UYWCGcGHSqWlUelMSoDn3g&zoom=1&tbnid=Dm-AxUgIJELj4M:&tbnh=120&tbnw=148&ei=hIBATZHSNZKwhAfLh8mlAw&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dkandinsky%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DX%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D569%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=271&vpy=110&dur=991&hovh=187&hovw=270&tx=107&ty=133&oei=hIBATZHSNZKwhAfLh8mlAw&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0

shapes, parralles etc.

For symmetry etc Escher would work.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.pxleyes.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/escher-swans.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.pxleyes.com/blog/2010/06/recursion-the-art-and-ideas-behind-m-c-eschers-drawings/&usg=__RZ0p9ZRqRizG4uzu1VrL580RGtY=&h=314&w=498&sz=56&hl=en&start=0&sig2=4hXi6x_Ful4YtkZ9u90E1w&zoom=1&tbnid=K4nuvkdFctnxqM:&tbnh=133&tbnw=171&ei=G4FATd7AJ4aWhQeJmZDDCA&prev=/images%3Fq%3Descher%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DX%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D569%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C256&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=956&vpy=134&dur=66&hovh=178&hovw=283&tx=253&ty=69&oei=2oBATfTzBs6GhQfYl_ioAw&esq=4&page=1&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:11,s:0&biw=1280&bih=569

for simplicity just use the names and google images.
    good luck.

9. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

10. I did find Escher for the symmetry and considered that. Now im erring towards Mondrian.
    I am just struggling for ideas to make anything last a full week - for Mondrian we can recreate his style of pictures in paper, paint and digitally but it may get a bit dull just drawing and filling in boxes! I cant think of any way to extend that or make it more exciting.
    Escher I really like and find interesting, but his paintins all have twists and turns and hidden pictures and again I have no idea what to do with Year 1 to develop this idea.
    Unless I take the circular pictures of his - theres one with lizards and one with bats - and get them to choose their own monochrome picture of a creature to create a similar picture.
    Kandinsky I LOVE but dont think id be able to do anything with my class that would look any good!

11. Kandinsky would be dead easy.... give them cirles, triangles (to draw around) in different sizes and give them a ruler.
    Get one half of a kandinsky and blow it up say the left half in the picture i put up here before (composition VIII)
    http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/kandinsky/kandinsky.comp-8.jpg

Then ask them to replicate it in an art lesson ( after talking about the shapes and style used- use most of 1 lesson or long starter) : to draw=1 or 2 lessons. then in a maths lesson (1 or 2) talk about the shapes in more detail - such as the shape of the triangles, the overlaping of the shapes- see if they can name as many shapes as they can. Then ask them to try and find parralell lines in the picture and if they can label their picture (maybe a photocopy if you dont want to spoil it- or post it notes) with the shapes namesand where the parralells are (literacy- 1 or 2 lessons)
    afterwards check their understanding of the shapes (pleanaries in each lesson maybe or starter of the next bit) and Kandinskys style and then ask them to design their own picture based on kandinsky (so a diagram of what shapes they would use and where- 1-2 lessons) Then they could have a go at painting their design.
    so theres about 8 lessons worth.

If you would rather they paint instead of use coloured pencils (which would work better but not as fun) then instead of shapes to draw around in the first one give them stencils so they can paint the insides.
    Bit of extra work but would be worth it.

How does that sound?

12. Just re-checked your post and realised you wanted a computer thing- makes it easier for the first pic:
    use paint or draw and they can use the tools to make the circles and things- fits perfectly :)

13. Oh mjkthorpe - I have had to tell my head today my chosen artist and I chose Mondrian!
    I feel terrible coming back to your wonderfully detailed post! What great ideas though. I will definately keep it all in mind for next time - we have art weeks quite regularly - thankyou!

14. lol

no worries...it may help someone else at some point....probably me when i forget what i said :)

15. As an artist working in a primary school i have to say you all are clueless when it comes to art - try this- type into google - viscosity - it should come up as viscosity create - have a look you will find it useful for maths and ICT and what ever happened to mirrors ? too much reliance on computers - get your hands dirty for goodness sake!
    But if you are STUCK then google Dali and relate the imagined landscape as fractals and metascapes as a starting point - you do know every classic painting has a starting point? and is based on concepts of symmetry? look to the Greeks for this one.
    Banksy?

16. d4y - i can see viscosity is good fun, but it strikes me as preudo-creative in the way many computer programmes are - the accompanying notes seem to describe it as a form of on-line doodling - it also seems a contradiction of your complaint that we use too many computers and too little messy stuff in art
    i also do not see how it would relate to maths for y1, which is what the op is working to - nor am i convinced (to put itmildly) that fractals and megascapes are the stuff y1 art or maths is made of

17. As an "artist working in a primary school" you have no idea about the level of Year 1 maths.
    Fractals and metascapes!? Some of them cant tell me what a square is!
    I appreciate your input - but not your attitude.
    How does Banksy relate to mathematics for a 6 year old?

18. I know this thread is more or less done with now, but just throwing in my 2p's worth:

Oh dear, fractals and metascapes? As the above poster has said, thanks for the input but make sure you read the whole post and make sure you know what is going on before you mouth off. Not everyone has the same knowledge of technical language as you do.

Actually fractals might work quite nicely. Probably one for higher-ability year 1 though, and the language is a bit tough. I've known some who would probably handle it very well, but they'd be a minority. Basically: draw a shape, any shape you like. Inside that shape, draw a circle (actually, this shape can be more or less anything as well, as long as you can replicate it at a number of different sizes and every one be similar) and make it as big as you can to fit inside your shape. In the spaces left inside the first shape, draw more circles as big as possible to fit the gaps. Repeat ad infinitum - fractals keep going into infinity. This fast talking American girl explains it with pictures: www.vihart.com/blog/tags/video.html (scroll down to 'infinity elephants'). I don't know any artists off hand who use fractals but there are bound to be some.

'Metascapes' seems to escape me at the moment, though I think it has something to do with Dali? A very interesting artist, but I don't think I'd introduce him to KS1 on anything other than a very basic level.

I really like Banksy's work but also fail to see how that would relate to mathematics in Year 1. I'm sure there's some maths in there somewhere but I can only think of very tenuous links. It's also a bit controversial; he is, after all, a vandal and I'm not sure all schools/parents would appreciate his work being glamorised.

Matisse is the guy who made the snail collage - it's hanging in the Tate Modern and is surprisingly large! A quick google suggests he has made lots of other collages as well (and it would appear a school out there has used his snail as inspiration as there are a few children's collage snails in the mix). You could look at colour, shape, size. They might not think his snail is very good, so you could pursue why and get them to 'improve' it.

Can't think of any other artists to add, I'm afraid, but I hope the above expansions are helpful.

19. well, that WAS neatly in paragraphs. Sorry, must have messed up the formatting somehow.

I have just taken the advice to look up viscosity, I knew I'd heard of it. I think there was some work in Kettle's Yard in Cambridge by an artist working in this style; or, I think there was an exhibition called 'viscosity' there and it seems to fit the same style as the whizzy computer program. Still, apart from getting to muck about on a computer for a while, I don't think any pupil at any age will absorb any maths from it.

20. Siggi Eggertsson comes to mind. Colour and geometry - beautiful. He's an illustrator and designer.