1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Art therapy training providers? is an online course worth it?

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by missrope2, Jul 12, 2018.

1. missrope2

missrope2 New commenter

Hi all, I'm working in a KS3 PRU in Greater Manchester. As part of my PMR I've decided to pursue art therapy as a way of expanding my role. What I would like is to be able to offer directed sessions to help pupils with specific issues they might have, and have the knowledge to put art therapy theory into practice in my workplace.

I don't want to leave my role and become an art therapist so the accredited MA in art therapy is not the path I'd like to take. I'll be working full time so an online/short course is probably best for me. There are plenty of art therapy online courses out there, but some of them are dirt cheap so I'm not sure they'll be worth it. It's so difficult to find the right information! I would like a course with some contact from tutors/other students.

Can anybody help!?

2. I am having a similar dilemma but from my research so far the only way to do it is through the MA accredited courses, otherwise you will be limited as to where you can practice. if I find anything I'll post it here

3. annaosborne1985

annaosborne1985 New commenter

Hi, did you find anything that suited you in the end?
    I'm also interested in this area but know that an MA is too much of a commitment and I think, for me, won't give the hands on tools within the art teaching or 1.1 school environment.
    At the moment I'm doing a certificate in counselling using the arts for children (a few weekends in the year, 12 days overall) and depending on if my school funds me I will do the 2 year diploma in art counselling for children.
    So far the course has been pretty amazing, tutors are great and the peers are very open and nice, I know its not Manchester, but heres the link if there's anything like it near you https://www.artspsychotherapy.org/therapy-courses/child-therapy-/-child-psychotherapy/
    Anna :)