1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Art Therapy in Primary Schools

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by lalaninjacakes, Oct 22, 2012.

1. lalaninjacakes

lalaninjacakes New commenter

I've been teaching A&D for 6 years and have always tended to have the more 'vulnerable' children. I'm currently looking to develop an art therapy course for certain pupils.

Has anyone managed to do this in their school? If so, what does it require?

2. lalaninjacakes

lalaninjacakes New commenter

I've been teaching A&D for 6 years and have always tended to have the more 'vulnerable' children. I'm currently looking to develop an art therapy course for certain pupils.

Has anyone managed to do this in their school? If so, what does it require?

annaosborne1985 likes this.
  3. I've been working in a primary school as a TA for 8 years and last summer qualified as an Art Psychotherapist from Goldsmiths University. My training included placements in secondary education as well as adult mental health. At present I'm continuing to work as a TA as well as working voluntarily alongside an art therapist who provides therapy in an after-school setting for a group of children with autism. My ultimate goal is to set up art therapy provision in mainstream primary schools for children with a range of social and emotional needs.

Most basically, the therapist needs a private room to work in where there will be no interruptions during the therapy sessions. Preferably the room will have a sink to allow for 'messy' art-making, although there are ways around this. The room should also have a lockable cupboard for the confidential storage of art work. It is important to maintain consistency throughout a course of sessions in order to create a safe and contained environment, therefore sessions should be in the same room, at the same time, each week.

The therapist would also be required to have weekly supervision sessions with a qualified supervisor who would also require access to the art works made by the children. Art Therapists need to be registered with the HCPC http://www.hpc-uk.org/ and it is recommended that they are registered with BAAT http://www.baat.org/ too.

Let me know if you think there are any other questions I can answer for you... In many ways, I'm just a beginner, but have a huge belief in the benefits of art therapy for our children.

4. I've been looking into a masters in art therapy starting 2014,I have a textile degree and have completed a 10 week counselling course,I had counselling when I was younger which involved art and it helped me express my emotions more than talking. What work did you include in your portfolio I'm thinking of doing some evening art classes,I also volunteer at a youth centre within the arts and craft area. How did you find the art therapy course? And did you have any funding? I want to find out as much as possible about the course before applying. Any advice would be much appreciated :)