1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Art textiles

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by im tired, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Hello!!
    I'm moving over with my textiles to art!! Hello nice to meet you!!!
    I'm really excited about the change but could do with a few pointers please if you can help!!

I currently have a yr 10 group who are coming to the end of a mini project, since September they have been learning a range of the usual textiles techniques and have done quite well...... Because I had the changes mind I didn't bother with the technicalities as I would in dt..... Offered more creativity which the kids have loved....

However I need to get planning for jan onwards, schemes of work etc.... I'm not sure where to start, a lot of our kids do both textiles and art so I can't Just follow the art sow with a textile twist... But luckily they will have some knowledge and understanding... Please can I ask if you have any mini project that work well or how do you /what do your yr 10 do? When do you start the controlled assement....... Oh jeez I don't know where to start!! Argh!

Thanks in advance!,

2. Hello!!
    I'm moving over with my textiles to art!! Hello nice to meet you!!!
    I'm really excited about the change but could do with a few pointers please if you can help!!

I currently have a yr 10 group who are coming to the end of a mini project, since September they have been learning a range of the usual textiles techniques and have done quite well...... Because I had the changes mind I didn't bother with the technicalities as I would in dt..... Offered more creativity which the kids have loved....

However I need to get planning for jan onwards, schemes of work etc.... I'm not sure where to start, a lot of our kids do both textiles and art so I can't Just follow the art sow with a textile twist... But luckily they will have some knowledge and understanding... Please can I ask if you have any mini project that work well or how do you /what do your yr 10 do? When do you start the controlled assement....... Oh jeez I don't know where to start!! Argh!

Thanks in advance!,

3. frankieneedssomesunshine

frankieneedssomesunshine New commenter

skirts, bags, hats! 3 terms sorted! get the course hand book, students & teachers guide. so you know exactly what they are asking for & try some ideas from past papers. goodluck!

4. Just choose a versatile and broad theme 'patterns in nature', 'overhead & underneath', 'spots & stripes', or 'Architecture'. With year 10 I would consider starting controlled assessment after easter, remember they don't actually work solid for an hours lesson so you can plan for a longer slot than 45 one hour lessons. You could allow the pupils to explore their theme using textiles techniques and experimental drawing methods (stick and ink, scraffito, collage etc) and link it to a relevant textile artist or fashion designer - then get them to design and embellish a corset or something?

Think about your strengths and plan and do the project you intend to do with the kids first - this way you can see how long it takes, they wil have exemplar work and visual resources and be inspired by you!

Simples!!

5. Hi there, I really did like your approach to finding a solution to a problem. I am presuming that you havebeen eaching for a while, or that you have a love of textiles and art. It is nice to read aout a solution rather than a problem.
    Lovely!!!

6. Lucieb40

Lucieb40 New commenter

I used 'Fairy Tales' as a theme and my students loved it. I have the power point to start off the project if you would like me to e-mail it to you??

7. Hello!
    thanks for your imput so far so good! oh yes Lucieb40 that would be great! ill Pm you my email address thanks x

8. HI Lucie
    Would you be able to let me have that powerpoint too please? Or even better upload it onto the resources area? Sounds really good!
    thanks.

9. Lucieb40

Lucieb40 New commenter

Hi Mistybrouhaha of course you can have a copy...and I am keen to get as many resources up onto my profile...but am working in China and sometimes it is complicated with the slow internet.
    I can e-mail it to you directly this evening and hopefully be able to upload it to the resource page at some point this week.

As I said it is a shell of a project (I started the brief but left the UK in the summer so it was completed by another teacher).
    Hopefully it will help and inspire...the students were super happy about it and REALLY enthusiastic when I set it and I know that the other teacher is re-running the exact same this year.

Lu

10. Lucieb40

Lucieb40 New commenter

Okies lovelies!

As requested, and with a speedier internet connection (fingers crossed), the Fairy Tales start up PPT is now available...
    Thanks for all your requests!!!!!
    I hope it helps and that your students enjoy it as much as mine did prior to me leaving.

Jax - Teaching art and textiles is much more rewarding in my opinion and I really enjoy it...its much broader and less sciencey!!!

Thanks again!!
    Lu

11. many thanks for that Lucie!

12. Hi

Just read all your posts and I to crossed over from D&T so new and workable info and Ppts would be so inspirational

Hoe do I get my email address to you

Best Wishes

Jules