1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Art technician job description

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by poppy45, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Hi, we're planning to advertise for an art technician and need to put together a job spec. If any of you out there are lucky enough to have a technician already could you give me some tips on what to include in the job description - do you think its important that they have a qualification in Art or would I be asking for too much!
    Even better, does anyone have a job description I could see?
    All advice gratefully received - thanks in advance

2. Hi, we're planning to advertise for an art technician and need to put together a job spec. If any of you out there are lucky enough to have a technician already could you give me some tips on what to include in the job description - do you think its important that they have a qualification in Art or would I be asking for too much!
    Even better, does anyone have a job description I could see?
    All advice gratefully received - thanks in advance

3. Someone practical is as useful as someone with an art qualification. Think about what you really need them to do and work round that.

Routine work for art technicians involves monitoring and maintaining stock, equipment and resources. Perhaps ordering and keeping tabs on capitation. Some library type duties, keeping check of visit return forms, booking visits, arranging transport. Entering data, printing out/photocopying/laminating. Possibly preparing clay, stretching screens and canvases (under instruction). Keeping tools and equipment in working order. Mounting work for display. Doing displays under guidance. Setting up lessons (to some extent). Preparing audit sheets. Making tea and providing shoulders.

I don't have a job description handy, but the above is a list of what my technician does and below a section from my handbook:

"The technicians are first and foremost employed to help the department.

They work under the direction of the Head of Department and are assigned both routine and longer term tasks by the HoD at a weekly meeting.

Routine tasks ensure a basic level of re-stocking and maintenance of materials and equipment in each room. These are done on a daily basis.

More thorough maintenance, especially of large paper drawers and sink areas, is done on a weekly rota.

Return boxes will be collected regularly throughout the week - please use them. If you hang on to resources, somebody else can't find them.

These procedures should mean that there is a reduction in the amount of immediate requests and will allow us all to work more efficiently.

Booking jobs:
    Any particular jobs that you need help with, have to be booked at least 24 hours in advance. Longer if it is a complex or long task. The request slips should be placed in the concertina file in the storeroom.

Please consider whether you really need the technician for your job, for example: use the reprographics technician for large photocopying runs. Teach students to mount their own work."

4. Thanks Joli, that is really helpful, life is going to be so much easier with a technician mucking in.