1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Art teaching - prospects and careers advice

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by North12, Dec 6, 2011.

1. North12

North12 New commenter

Dear Stephen
    I am considering retrainining in teaching and applying for the PGCE in Art. I gradauted 5 years ago with a degree and masters in History of Art, and have for two years been building up a body of practical art work which I hope will go toward a portfolio at interview (pencil, pastel and oil). While I have experience of youth work and working with young people, that was a couple of years ago and I realise I will need to implement work experience in schools before applying. What other advice can you offer about work experience? Are places for PGCE Art competitive, and what is the demand for Art teachers at present?

thank you

2. North12

North12 New commenter

Dear Stephen
    I am considering retrainining in teaching and applying for the PGCE in Art. I gradauted 5 years ago with a degree and masters in History of Art, and have for two years been building up a body of practical art work which I hope will go toward a portfolio at interview (pencil, pastel and oil). While I have experience of youth work and working with young people, that was a couple of years ago and I realise I will need to implement work experience in schools before applying. What other advice can you offer about work experience? Are places for PGCE Art competitive, and what is the demand for Art teachers at present?

thank you