1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Art teacher just moved to Paris from Scotland - seeking any advice!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by matildaakirkwood, Dec 12, 2017.

1. matildaakirkwood

matildaakirkwood New commenter

Hello,

I have recently moved to Paris as my partner was relocated for work (on rather short notice!) and ahve been here for three weeks. I have a PGDE in Art and Design secondary education, after a BA (Hons) in Performance Costume both from the University of Edinburgh, Scotland. I am at present doing as much research as I can on the international schools in Paris, both for supply and fixed term/permanent/semi-permanent contracts etc. From what I gather from previous threads on here is that the jobs in international schools are quite hard to come by. As alternative ideas, is it possible to write to schools and propose after school art clubs/private tutoring etc/one off workshops etc? (I appreciate that this might seem naive or not something that is not done, but trying to explore all opportunities!)

I haven’t taught outside the UK before, or in an international school environment so if anyone who has lived/taught/worked here in Paris has any tips/advice it would be greatly appreciated!

With thanks,

Matilda

2. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

If @Angelil sees this she might be able to advise, she worked in Paris for a few years.

3. kdec

kdec New commenter

I worked in Paris for 6 years. There's little demand for art teachers as there are few international schools and more international sections where they only teach English, history and geography in English. You could definitely contact different sections and schools and propose workshops etc. Some may well be keen.

4. matildaakirkwood

@kdec @rachel_g41 Thank you for your replies and advice. It is much appreciated. I will contact the schools and propose workshops etc. I may contact @Angelil directly if you think she wouldnt mind?! Thanks again.

Angelil likes this.
  5. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

I'm sure she woulddn't mind, but if she's not logging in here frequently she might not notice anyway.

6. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

matildaakirkwood and Angelil like this.
  7. Angelil

Angelil Occasional commenter

Thanks for the mention everyone :) I was there for 9 years so hope my advice is helpful.

@matildaakirkwood I would definitely advise contacting schools speculatively. Many international schools are growing all the time and so will need to expand their staff. The school I taught at taught art in both French and English so don't give up hope! Definitely write to schools you are interested in, with your CV, to explain what you could offer. Feel free to PM me or ask here if you feel I can help further :)

matildaakirkwood likes this.
  8. matildaakirkwood

9. matildaakirkwood

@Angelil thank you for this advice, it is much appreciated. I will PM you tomorrow with a few questions if that's ok! Speak then :)

10. Angelil

Angelil Occasional commenter

Sure! Please do :)