1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Art Materials - Health & Safety

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by shavenhobo, Oct 17, 2018.

1. shavenhobo

shavenhobo New commenter

Hi folks,

I'm looking for some H&S guidelines for art materials in classroom. I have seen some guidelines from NSEAD but they don't cover drawing inks. Essentially my head might be concerned about the containers inks are in, they are currently stored in the labelled bottles I purchased them in for the KCS shop. I have never had a problem with storing inks in view and I don't really want one so if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Apologies if this has been asked before, I cant find the search function for the thread.

Thank you in advance

2. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Foolishly I believed all pertinent warnings would be on the products - until I looked at a set of Wilko acrylic paints (made in China) which had no warnings about age suitability, toxicity or choking hazards ( when children take the tops off using their teeth ).

3. shavenhobo

shavenhobo New commenter

I guess it's to keep us on our toes

4. Mrs Grumpy

Mrs Grumpy New commenter

ALL materials are intrinsically dangerous. Especially around pupils - but surely there's some information on the large container / packaging? E-mail to the manufacturer may help. Tell whoever on your Senior staff is responsible, and share your worry. I've done that in the past - usually Science folk, who then take 3 months to come back to you and say "Okay", but you've covered yourself if little Desmond drinks a litre of ink and wrecks his tonsils!