1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Art Lesson Length

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by maggieDD, Nov 13, 2016.

1. maggieDD

maggieDD New commenter

Hi

Please could someone advise whether 45 minutes is enough time to teach an art lesson (primary) and whether 6 consecutive lessons in one day is tenable (four in the morning and two in the afternoon).

Thank you

2. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

bump

3. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

@maggieDD I don't think 45 minutes for Art is long enough to introduce/demonstrate, get equipment out, achieve something and clear up; I would expect at least an hour. I have worked in a school with 6 lessons in a day at primary level, so that doesn't seem unusual to me.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Our lessons are 35 mins long, but we have some doubles.
    I have taught art in 45 mins in primary, but it was hard work. 6 in a day will need you to be super organised and think through each class to make your life as practically easy as possible.

5. maggieDD

maggieDD New commenter

Thank you.
    Do you think it's reasonable to ask an TA who is embarking on training to undertake that many hours (plus 7 more in another school)?

6. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

@maggieDD Do you mean should a TA have to support in class for 6 consecutive lessons?

7. maggieDD

maggieDD New commenter

No, teach in class for 6 consecutive lessons

8. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Well, I am under the impression that trainees and NQTs would not have the full weekly timetable (in terms of hours teaching) that a more experienced teacher would have, but how that is arranged across the five days is up to the school. It's perhaps not ideal for a trainee/NQT to be teaching a full 6-lesson day, but if another day is much 'lighter' because of it, that may be the 'pay-off', @maggieDD.