1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Art help please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by warmandfuzzy, Aug 12, 2012.

1. warmandfuzzy

warmandfuzzy New commenter

I love this piece of art-work from Pinterest, and I'd love to do a similar piece with my class of year 2/3 children. I am by no means an art expert, and I was looking for some ideas as to how to get the children to think carefully about the task. I was thinking that I might get them to think about there favourite place, and why (ie their house/love (hearts) in the original), and go from there...hearts for love, stars for thoughts, z for restful, .... Any ideas? http://pinterest.com/pin/1477812347659606/

2. warmandfuzzy

warmandfuzzy New commenter

I love this piece of art-work from Pinterest, and I'd love to do a similar piece with my class of year 2/3 children. I am by no means an art expert, and I was looking for some ideas as to how to get the children to think carefully about the task. I was thinking that I might get them to think about there favourite place, and why (ie their house/love (hearts) in the original), and go from there...hearts for love, stars for thoughts, z for restful, .... Any ideas? http://pinterest.com/pin/1477812347659606/

3. A great image to work from, I think the children will respond really well to it!
    As it is a collage I would use a similar technique with the children using, as you say, the title 'My favourite place' as a starting point. The children could create 2/3 pastel, paint, mixed media drawings in response to questions such as , 'If your favourite place was a colour, what colour would it be?', 'How does your favourite place make you feel?' etc.
    The children will paint/draw using their imagination in response to the questions. The paintings/drawings they create can then be cut up to create a collage image of their favourite place on a coloured background. They could also use images from magazines/catalogues to add to their collage (paint over the top for washed out effect). The result should be a very personal and imaginative response to a special place. Words could also be added to the collage for interest.
    I was an artist before I trained to be a teacher ....not sure if my suggestions are useful, hope they help a bit.