1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Art Day

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rosyanna, Jan 27, 2011.

1. rosyanna

rosyanna New commenter

I know there have been 2 recent threads re art week, but wondered if anyone could help me - along same theme but a bit different. I have to plan a whole school art day and have complete carte blanche to do what I want. Anyone done this? Any suggestions? I thought about a theme, ie Nature, and getting each year group to do something on this theme, ie one year does collage, another 3D/sculpture, another printing etc., but I thought that wasn't very inspired. If anyone has done this and has some good ideas I would be v grateful [school is FS1-Yr 6].

2. rosyanna

rosyanna New commenter

I know there have been 2 recent threads re art week, but wondered if anyone could help me - along same theme but a bit different. I have to plan a whole school art day and have complete carte blanche to do what I want. Anyone done this? Any suggestions? I thought about a theme, ie Nature, and getting each year group to do something on this theme, ie one year does collage, another 3D/sculpture, another printing etc., but I thought that wasn't very inspired. If anyone has done this and has some good ideas I would be v grateful [school is FS1-Yr 6].

3. We did an art theme last year. We took our school values and gave one to each class Teamwork/Achievement etc. The classes discussed how they could represent the concept and made banners to display in the corridor. We did have an artist in residence to lead it- but it isn't necessary. It helped to reinforce our agreed values and ensure that the children were all really aware of them and made a fantastic permament reminder.

4. Around the world art:
    i.e. Mosaics - Gaudi / Spain or do Roman mosaics
    Batik - traditional fabric decoration of Indonesia, but many other places inc Africa for batik
    Paper folding - some quite complex designs can be made - Japan
    paper cutting - China and traditional in mexico
    I'm sure there's ,more but I'd need to do more thinking!!