1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Art Curriculum Map Ideas Needed

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by CreativeADT, Jun 12, 2017.

1. CreativeADT

CreativeADT New commenter

Hi all

As HoF for ADT I have an exciting opportunity to create a curriculum map afresh this year as I have all new teachers in Art and Graphics from September. Our results have not been good recently, but KS3 have been doing well, so I'm hopeful that they will be a more enthusiastic and able cohort going forwards.

What I'm interested to know is, what ideas work well in your departments for projects at KS3 and KS4? What strategies get students engaged at KS4 and 5 and working hard, meeting deadlines. Our students are wise to the 'teacher' deadline vs the exam board deadline and leave things to the last minute, making our jobs more difficult.

Currently I have a great SoW on Art Deco/Brutalism for year 8, Complementary colours and still life for year 7, both I intend to keep. I'm asking current staff to write up successful SoWs for use next year, but I'm trying to see things as a year plan and make sure each class has a wide range of experiences as they rotate teachers.

Year 9 remain with 1 teacher for the year as a non-GCSE option. This is working in terms of engaging students in how a project should be structured and then marked if they take GCSE. However, they may get a different teacher in year 10 and I want to ensure a consistent approach for them across all staff.

At GCSE we end up with students who were put in Art/Graphics but not keen, we have able students who don't care and those who care and have committed parents, but due to behaviour issues in classes, they get less attention that they deserve. I want to engage them with fun activities from the start and then focus them over time onto the specific AOs.

At A level we have entry requirements, but students using all kinds of excuses for not meeting deadlines and being late. Ideas for structuring the course effectively would be very much appreciated.

Any help welcome, thanks in advance!

2. Mrs Grumpy

Mrs Grumpy New commenter

Not quite sure what you're after - I had a situation where a new place dumped a load of rather unruly thuggish year 9 lads on me, all so used to "designing" cars ( i.e.: copying out structurally improbable shapes), weapons and scenes of violence, and generally pigging around whilst their previous teacher ( then H of Art) cowered in a corner - so I started off with skulls - they loved that bit! Bandanas with skulls were already around, and suddenly the room was festooned with everything skully I could think of, when they came in.
    I took Damien Hirst's blingy diamond- studded Skull, one (good discussion about real worth / who had actually done it - I'd pics from a mag at time of how it was made, and the technicians at work) Aztec ones, Turquoise and rock crystal ones, Egyptian death rituals, including mummification, grotty ceramic ashtrays, "momento mori" images, including repros of things like Holbein's "Ambassadors", memorial rings, horror film images, stills and pictures, large skull sculpture (seen in Venice a few years back) of Skull made of household utensils, Rocker jewelry, Tattoos, Mexican "Day of the Dead" stuff, we sort of freewheeled around it, discussing and them coming up with more examples, and stimulus even.
    A lot of nonsense was talked, as we examined items and images, but also some perceptive comments on the values imposed on Art, and Cultural influences, as well as customs, history and changing attitudes.
    We ended up with range of outcomes including comic strip stories, clay models "souvenirs" (and card packaging), masks, puppets, decorative alphabets, garment design and making, leather jacket painting (yes!), ceramic and perspex jewellery, at least one soft toy cuddly skull carefully sewn(!), pop-up skull cards and booklet, of course some grotty vehicle graphics "designs" ( but at least the vehicles were better drawn), mobiles, images of what was going on inside one's skull, thoughts and actions etc, via a cross-section, a really lovely collage / painting of things emerging from the eyeholes of a carefully observed skull, - can't recall them all, but taking such a weird starting point, and having masses of images seemed to fascinate them, and I sort of bombarded them with images and discussion, somehow getting them to draw from observation (thanks, Science Dept and friend, for a basket full of skulls of various creatures) including drawing in an old cemetery nearby, - but the theme covered a heck of a lot of objectives etc, and a wide range technical experiences, in the course of providing a half year where all ended up doing different things, seeing what others did, discussing each other's work, producing design ideas and developments, as well as their final outcomes, and somehow by the end of it we'd enough stuff to mount an exhibition, and the whole bunch ( talk about making a rod for my own back) to a man decided they were "Taking" Art with me the next year.
    -And most of them did, and took it a lot more seriously than one might have thought, with fairly good results, and a decent overall attitude.
    Hectic, took a lot of pre-planning and collecting, and bloody hard work, but seriously, it really worked. And I survived. Just.

3. gdoolan84

gdoolan84 New commenter