1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Art coordinators. Help please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by amaryllis2, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Does anyone have a sample art policy? We dont have one and I've been asked to put something together. Also, I've been asked to do a staff INSET. (Lucky me) I'm not sure if the Strategy still applies. Are the units of work statutory or just suggestions?
    Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. Hi,
    Does anyone have a sample art policy? We dont have one and I've been asked to put something together. Also, I've been asked to do a staff INSET. (Lucky me) I'm not sure if the Strategy still applies. Are the units of work statutory or just suggestions?
    Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

The only statutory items are those in the National Curriculum. Not quite sure what you mean by 'the Strategy' in relation to Art? Do you mean QCA units?

4. thepinkrachael

thepinkrachael New commenter

I'm not sure what you mean by the Strategy either, if you mean the QCA units they are not statutory, just guidelines to help ensure coverage of different techniques, (but pretty boring ones most of the time!) They can be useful as a starting point, but I wouldn't follow them entirely.
    Can't help you with a policy I'm afraid, but maybe just inculde bits about using a range of techniques, studying the work of artists, how much art is expected. I don't have any experience with policies, so I may be way off, but if I were asked to do one these are the sorts of things I'd include.
    There is a good document in the Resources section on here about Progression in Art, maybe this will help you? I have found it useful in getting an overview of what we are covering well and where we need to look at.
    As for INSET - could you ask staff what they feel would be useful? What areas they feel they are okay with already and where they feel they need more support, for example staff in my school have said they find it hard to know how to teach techniques or find artists to link to, so if I were to do INSET this is what I would focus on.
    Hope this helps a bit - I am completely new at this too, so it's just suggestions!