1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Art connected with the Romans

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by FenellaF, Jan 28, 2012.

1. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

Hi, I am looking for a painting activity linked to the Romans that shows painting skills. We are going to make and design shields, but this doesn't really show any painting skill. Has anyone successfully, (or semi successfully!) done any painting artwork connected with the Romans that clearly shows progression in a particular skill? Thanks x

2. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

'Romans' and 'Painting' is not a link I would make.... or try to! This is where Primary school Art becomes tokenistic.
    How about getting some clay out as the Romans were interested in portraiture likeness and statues, or create some clay coin designs and spray them gold (still not great connections, but at least the pupils would be learning a process?)

3. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

...this is a pet hate of mine, but I'll try not to rant... 'Romans' and 'Painting' is not a link that I would immediately make, and trying to force these flimsy, tokenistic links is what annoys me about Primary school art projects.
    How about getting some clay out as the Romans were interested in portraiture likeness and statues, or embossing or casting coins and spraying them gold? (still not great connections but at least pupils might get a new experience or process?)

4. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

..... sorry... computer crashed during first post so I thought it hadn't worked.

5. lalala

lalala New commenter

It could be simply colour matching the shade and textures in the mosaic pieces they look at - can be more tricky than you think, with paint mixing, application, and brush technique all becoming significant. Not sure what age range this is for, but is quite a fun activity. They then really enjoy cutting the bits up and piecing them together into a clear image.

6. I use mosaic work linked to the Romans too. One way is to use
    PVA glue (or the likes) and little squares of coloured tissue. I use that quite thick,
    clear plastic as a base to paint on and then when dry, it can all be
    peeled off in a oner and then looks good against a window. It should go
    quite transparent. I get them to put a photographic image underneath
    which they can see and use as a guide to work to. Not painting but lots
    of hand eye co-ordination and decision making with colour.