1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Art co-ordinator wanting to revamp art and improve my own role!

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by marshmallow23, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Hi everyone!

I have been the Art Coordinator in a Primary School for about 2 years now and to be honest I haven't fully got to grips with the role. I am a 'creative', 'arty' and 'crafty' person whilst some other teachers would definitely say they are not - which is why this role came my way. I have made a positive impact through making sure a range of resources and materials are available and I am always willing to offer advice to other teachers planning their lessons. I have organised entry to a variety of competitions and organised whole school art projects and exhibitions.

This year I need to step it up a gear. My aim is for all teachers to be more confident in understanding the requirements from the new NC, to plan lessons that build up skills to create exciting final pieces and to have a better understanding of assessment. To be honest, I need to be doing this myself first!

So this is my starting point really!

i have been googling art schemes of work - does anyone have an opinion on this? So far 'art express' seems to be popular for some.

i would like to give some inspiring staff meetings that give clear guidelines and expectations - I feel that most staff at my school would have more confidence if they were given quite structured guidance to begin with. Then I would like to do something more practical and fun so staff can remember how it feels to explore different materials and ideas.

Is anybody in the same boat? Perhaps we could work together to become more secure in the Art Co-ordinator role? If anyone has any ideas or advice about the role in general I would be really keen to hear from you!

Thanks,

Cheryl

AndreaM123 likes this.
  2. danielle91x

danielle91x New commenter

Hi Cheryl,

At my school we don't use a scheme but the challenge curriculum linked to the international primary curriculum for art. Objectives for the year groups are taken from these and then mapped over the year into subjects/topics.

I found out this week that I am now the art coordinator for my school. I know that you said you had been in the role 2 years and had held competitions and exhibitions. Could you tell me some more about this please?

Kind regards,

Danielle.

AndreaM123 likes this.
  3. artcrisis

artcrisis New commenter

You can really stay up to date by joining NSEAD! They have great resources online for curriculum and assessment.

AndreaM123 likes this.
  4. Imageswindsor

Imageswindsor New commenter

Hi Cheryl
    How about holding a whole school Art Exhibition to inspire and boost the self esteem of all of your pupils. Images School Art Exhibitions could help as they take all the hard work off your hands and the service to schools is free. They professionally frame each child's work then return and set up an exhibition in the school hall for pupils and parents to visit. It encourages pupils to analyse their own and others work and brings the whole community together.

5. AndreaM123

AndreaM123 New commenter

I'm also interested in how you use exhibitions.

Cheryl and Danielle, how did you get on?

6. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

At one school I was at a member of staff knew a local artist who was invited to come in and work with the children to create a big mural. Another school had a photography competition with different themes for different year groups - nature, light, animals etc. Another had a whole school 'theme' eg. 'round', 'London', 'water' etc. and the children had to produce an individual piece to be displayed - I think they did this at home as an activity and brought the results in. They could use any media and interpret the theme in any way. Another school had a display board which focused on the work of a particular artist (this was regularly changed) and an after-school art club was run.