1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Art and design - texture within abstract art

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by m.bainton, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Hi.

Can anyone help me???

I have an interview in 4 days at a secondary school where I have to do a 30 minute lesson to 29 year 9 pupils and the lesson needs to be 'How abstract artists use texture within their work'? I have been racking my brains for the last 24hours to come up with something that connects both abstract art and texture and how to fit it in a 30 minute lesson. Obviously as it is an interview I want to impress and come across as fun but still informative!

I thought about doing some kind of collage task .. maybe based on landscape abstract artists like Anselm Kiefer or Jerry Little! I then thought about having different items in black bags where they have to feel inside and describe in pairs the texture of the item and guess what it is?

If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

2. lalala

lalala New commenter

Realise you probably have ideas all sorted by now, but what about looking at the work of the Boyle Family? Introduce them briefly to the concept of their 'earth' work, the randomness being a point of interest and the texture of the selected piece of land the focus - you could have some printouts of some of their casts and get the kids to pick a small section of one by the same pin method the artists used in the first place. You could then have little bags of various earthy things - sand, grit, twigs etc and have the pupils try to recreate their small section on squares of card with glue and paint. It's a bit of an ask in only 30 minutes, but might work if you planned it to the minute!
    Good luck with the interview anyway!