1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Art activities - sea theme

Discussion in 'Primary' started by map1271, Apr 19, 2009.

1. We are going to be spending a week doing art activities based on the sea/beach theme in a few weeks. I have got some ideas already, but am looking for some more to fill the week.
    Has anyone done anything based on the sea theme that you would be willing to share with me please? We are doing it across all age groups YR - 4 so any actitivies would be useful as I can pass on to other teachers.
    Thanks

2. Ooh lovely.Are you actually going to the see and having real water about? If you're not a couple of year's ago the Reception teacher's 'brought the beach to school'.
    One of the local builder's merchants delivered some sand so they build sandcastles. They had paddling pools and water trays; a talk from the local garden centre chap who bred fish, he brought starfish and various fish; they made rockpools [those kooshie balls make really authentic looking sea anenomes] had punch and judy and ice creams as well as a picnic etc They worked really hard and the chidren got a lot out of it.
    I'm sure you've got most of these:
    fingerpainting in shades of blues and green
    Chalks and pastels
    Picasso's blue period
    Lines
    collage and mosaic
    creatures that live in the sea; best to have real fish. Dead, whole ones are good for observational drawing and crabs and lobsters. You can even do fish printing though it's abit slippery! [talk to your local fishmongers or Tesco ha, ha, especially if your Head promises them a mention in the press]
    All the weaving type activities make great fish and if you've got that chain link fencing outside it's great fun to get the children to save plastic bags loads of different colours then you can weave fish and waves and sunshine and sand. Clay on a woven background lloks phenomenal and it's fantastic for hand eye co-ordination and developing awareness of the language of colours and how they make us feel.
    Shells are great for drawing, painting and casting impressions. They look amazing.
    Wire fish are great for KS2 and when I taught once in a seaside school we beachcombed and then a local artist helped the children make beach art. Fantastic. Even if you couldn't go you could get people to collect stuff.
    Shoe box worlds of underwater worlds are great and bowl landscapes.
    Papier mache fish
    Stories
    Rainbow fish
    The lighthouse keeper's lunch worked really well. Especially if you rig up a pulley from one side
    Big blue whale
    Whale song contact Greenpeace to develop debate and citizenship.
    Poems
    The Sea John Foster
    Sea Seasons Moira Andrew
    Wave John Cotton
    Exploring the Roack Pool Jphn Cotton
    Winter Gulls Jean Kenward
    Jonah and the Whale
    Maybe you could end the week with an art exhibition or something. Enjoy hope it gives you food for thought

3. Charly27. What did you have for breakfast? I want some! What fab ideas.
    We made collages of the sea with layers of tissue paper, then made clay fish that we glued on top. They looked pretty effective.

4. Thank you so much for your ideas! That all sounds amazing, I will share these ideas with the other staff tomorrow. I can't wait to start the arts week now.
    Thanks again.

5. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

What fab ideas. We're about to start a seaside theme with ourPMLD class and will be using lots of these! Thanks

6. Hi Charly27,
    I was just having another read through of your ideas. What is a bowl landscape? I haven't heard of that.
    Thanks