1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ARRRGGGHHH! GCSE, paperwork and getting work in from them!

Discussion in 'Music' started by asdmumandteacher, Apr 5, 2011.

1. This is my 16th year teaching GCSE and it just gets worse every year. My school (as have all the schools I have worked in) has a policy or so it seems of 'bend over backwards to make sure the little darlings get the top marks possible'....everything they do is about getting A* (not even A nowadays!). If they get As in modules they generally resit to see if they can get A* (its a selective school)...but trying to get the work in on time and in to any decent, not half baked whilst watching tv or on facebook, standard is, becoming more and more rare.

2. casper

casper New commenter

Yep.

3. I'm just about okay with the compositions and annotations as this is now within controlled hours but it is their total inability to remember to bring in a printed version of their performance pieces and for the many that didn't play from staff notation an MP3 of the original that is driving me up the wall. I have letters and phone calls going to all parents this week explaining why their little darling will have to come into school during the first 3 days of the Easter holiday. (Not that I'll get much holiday)

4. Thats exactly it - all the bits of paper..photocopies or recordings of the original versions of their songs/pieces...logs and evaluations, commentaries...etc.etc...then printing off their scores and organising their performances onto individual cds etc...ARGH!

5. pianomania

pianomania New commenter

Agreed - and then what about those that aren't going to get a C grade so the students stop trying and want to drop out - do you let them give up or make them enter and suffer the 'shame' of not having a C - it is after all what they deserved!

6. gliss

gliss New commenter

2nd this completely - I'm still asking for the music from some and still have 3 performances not yet recorded. I arranged to accompany two singers the other day, waited 15 mins and found them eating their lunch ' sorry ms we wanted our lunch first we'll be with you in a mo'.... staggering! I did not wait a mo........had a very nice lunch.

7. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

Surely there comes a time when you just send the coursework off with bits missing? It's like not answering one question in an exam; the world won't end, you just won't get marks for that question. I also don't believe that it's fair on the students who did bother to learn their music and get it recorded/composed on time. They are being unfairly, and indirectly, penalised.
    As for withdrawing a 'C' candidate, I think that's dishonest on the part of the school and sends the message to the student that this school only wants C-A* students; what about the student for whom a D is a genuine achievement?!
    It's a bit like 'cooking the books' - surely regarded as a dishonest approach in careers like accounting; but why not in education. Time to stand up for honest practice!

8. spanboy

spanboy New commenter

...absolutely!
    ...absolutely! Unfortunately it won't happen while league tables still reign supreme and we as teachers cannot say 'enough is enough' - you've not put the effort in so you get what you deserve - and is backed by the SCHOOL.

9. Is it me or is the AQA paperwork onerous and needless? Not to mention wooly criteria that is so subjective.... really... what is the difference between wholeness and completeness in the music.... Could they not have had a tick box system to make it easier to show why you awarded a mark.

sigh..... day 2 of the easter holidays and still marking, writing up and ensuring the i's are dotted and t's crossed.....probably another 3 days of this to go....