1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Arrows reading and spelling scheme

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Zengi, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Hi, This is a personal request. My daughter is in year 7 and it has been recommended that she participates in the Arrows scheme to improve her spelling. She has a reading age of 16.8+ and a spelling age of 8. She is awaiting an assessment for dyslexia. However, I do not know the scheme and she is relucant to be place on it. Is it a phonics based scheme? If anyone could fill me in I would be grateful.

2. Hi, This is a personal request. My daughter is in year 7 and it has been recommended that she participates in the Arrows scheme to improve her spelling. She has a reading age of 16.8+ and a spelling age of 8. She is awaiting an assessment for dyslexia. However, I do not know the scheme and she is relucant to be place on it. Is it a phonics based scheme? If anyone could fill me in I would be grateful.

3. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

4. Not that we know of. She did suffer from a number of ear infections when younger, but grew out of them.

5. Have you looked at the work of Dr Lindsay Peer on 'Glue Ear'. She has published a book on the subject. Basically you rdaughter will have had difficulty with phonics when she was taught it as she would have been unable to hear a range of sounds and this would have fluctuated as the fluid in her ears muffled the sound. Now she has grown out of the condition a phonic scheme may work, but actually good spellers 'look' at the word to see if it 'looks right'. So really it is a visual skill. Whole word methods may also work so I wouldn't dismiss this scheme. Give it a try and see if it works. It won't hurt her.