1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

arrested

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by rubberorangemonkey, May 4, 2011.

1. rubberorangemonkey

rubberorangemonkey New commenter

i was recently arrested for common assault (on an adult nothing school related). this was a case of mistaken identity and i was released with no charges or caution brought against me.
    however i am aware that this arrest will still show up on my enhanced crb. my headteacher has assured me that this is not an issue as far as my employment within my current school is concerned and i simply need to flag it up on any application forms if i apply for other jobs.
    despite what i have been told i am a little concerned that this will have a detrimental effect on my career when i come to move on, can anyone advise me whether this is the case? this may include applications to private / international schools as well as uk schools.

2. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

Hi
    I'm not certain it will show up if it was mistaken identity. A colleague of mine had a similar situation where a stalker falsely accused her of assault and she was arrested but then charges were dropped when the full story emerged. She was told that it wouldn't appear on her CRB. It might be worth checking with the CRB people and you may also need something in writing from the police.
    Hope you get it sorted out

3. If you are charged but not prosecuted (in other words charges are dropped) it shouldn't show up even on an enhanced Disclosure. So I can't see how an arrest with no charges would remain on your record either?

4. rubberorangemonkey

rubberorangemonkey New commenter

thanks for the replies.
    as far as i understood even arrests with no subsequent charge will show up - i'm going to get an enhanced crb done soon to check. hopefully there'll be no trace of it! in the meantime contacting the crb people sounds like a good plan.

5. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

As far as I know, the CRB people won't/can't do anything since they request information from the police and are obliged to pass on the information they are provided with.
    In a case such as yours, the police have discretion as to whether the information will be included, although clearly the person making that decision will be at a bureaucratic level.
    I would suggest that it would be better that you go back to the investigating officer and put your concerns to them. They may be able to word the information held on their records in such a way that the person reviewing it for CRB will be certain that you were not the offender - if, for example, someone else was prosecuted for the offence then this will clarify it.
    You might also wish to seek advice from your union solicitor who no doubt will have encountered this before.