1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Arrested for protesting

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Apr 21, 2019.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Those folks who get arrested for protesting in London and elsewhere (assuming the don't just get released later) what happens to them?
    Do they just get a fine /police record?Or does the conviction carry other consequences such as stopping travel to other countries, or affecting your job?
    At one stage. I believe if you worked for a number of jobs such as teaching, nursing and civil service the police reported you to that place of work and you might face action from your professional body...certainly, for teachers, we did even for past spent crimes.

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

They may be charged later, as it is lots of people arrested have simply had their details taken down and been released, and then come straight back to the protests and been arrested again.

3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

But in these days of acute teacher shortages, the only response from our head was "great, now you will have to stay working for me because it will be difficult for you to apply for another job"when I accompanied a friend to tell him he had just got a caution for assault.

and 5 years later, he still is working there, and hasn't applied for any other job

agathamorse likes this.
  4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

We may yet see some of these appearing in forthcoming professional conduct hearings for teacher misconduct cases.

However, the arrests will not be for protesting, but for causing a public nuisance, aggravated trespass, wilfully obstructing the highway, trespassory assembly, breach of the peace, vandalism, etc.

Under the Human Rights Act everybody has a freedom of expression and a freedom of thought and assembly. This means that everybody has a right to a peaceful protest and no restrictions shall be placed on this unless it is in the interests of national security, public safety or for the prevention of disorder or crime.

The most likely would be organist or taking part in a demonstration in a designated area without authorisation: This offence is committed when person/persons demonstrate in a designated area without permission from the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police. One of the areas is an area around Parliament.

It was agreed that the Extinction Rebellion demonstrators could use Marble Arch - nowhere else in London.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    agathamorse and oldsomeman like this.
  5. oldsomeman

Thank you... i was thinking that some crimes are deemed more a problem than others. eg if ay you wanted to go to another country on holiday or seeking work where criminal convictions are supposed to be declared. Or is the assumption they are not deemed serious crimes?

6. burajda

burajda Star commenter

I wonder where the police put them, So many police stations have closed so the police cells have gone too. The Met had to draft in police from South Wales yesterday so they could control the demos at Heathrow.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

8. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Many of the people I've seen arrested this week are retired, so there will be no professional consequences at all.

There are also a large number of youngsters prepared to be arrested, and I admire them hugely, they know they are limiting future career options, but re very dedicated to the cause.

Others have prior approval from employers, to take time off of work, to demonstrate, to be arrested, charged or convicted, and have their current employers full support. Many many people are supporting the demonstrators without actually demonstrating themselves.

agathamorse and (deleted member) like this.
  9. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I don't think so, you can demonstrate without being arrested, as long as you move away when the police ask you to.

Almost everyone arrested has chosen to be, and no one who cares about the affect on their career is going to be in that catagory.

There may be teachers who got arrested without intending to, or who had the prior approval of their employers, or who are simply prepared to sacrifice their career for this cause, though.

10. oldsomeman

So does that mean that those protesting have little to fear them for their lives or livelihood? I am not against the right to protest but I find it wrong that large parts of cities and facilities are ground to a halt over a period of time. Fortunately, we are not dealing with anarchists here, but I find it wrong that they think a simple apology for the chaos they have caused is enough when possibly many have had business and livings badly affected.

11. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Being arrested is very different from being cautioned or convicted but it can still carry consequences. Your DNA and fingerprints will be taken and your arrest may be disclosed in an enhanced DBS. It can be very difficult to get these removed from the record even if a person was innocent of any crime.

nomad likes this.
  12. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

some people have been adversely affected, some people have been positively affected.

I have written on other threads about how easily and freely we have been moving around central London this week, I have brought elderly friends in who normally wouldn't dare to go anywhere near the West End, but lack of traffic, and freedom for pedestrians to walk in the road rather than crammed up on the pavement has meant that we have hugely benefited.

Many people have had a wonderful time, many people have commented on how unusual it is to have that sort of freedom in London. Lots of people have found their journeys to work considerably faster than usual, without traffic on the roads. I know there are some, like @gargs who have found it slower.

likewise with businesses, some have suffered, some have benefitted. I know trying to get a bite to eat around Oxford circus was impossible earlier this week, as everyone who sold food had sold out, but then thousands and thousands had come to visit the demonstrations, and support them. I'm sure some have suffered too, but one shop keeper I saw complaining on the news was one of the ones who told me he had sold out of everything when I tried to buy lunch in his shop a few hours earlier.

tens of thousands are killed by pollution in London. It is likely that these few days without traffic have saved lives.

I am sure some protesters will be disadvantaged by their criminal records in years to come. The few I know of who have been charged so far already have criminal records for other protests.

1 person likes this.
  13. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Not half as badly affected as they'll be by climate change if we don't act.

You really don't get it, do you? And it sounds like you want to see these people have their lives ruined for protesting about the destruction of the planet. Good on you.

Does anyone remember that song by Sting, Russians? At the height of the cold war? "I hope the Russians love their children too"? Seems many around here could give a monkey's about the world their grandchildren will inherit.

monicabilongame likes this.
  14. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

"(They) are very dedicated to the cause..." what the hell kind of endorsement is that? If you're dedicated to a cause that's stupid, that doesn't make you good or the cause worthwhile. It just makes you dedicated to stupidity.

15. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

I too think we should base public policy on what some forgotten pop singer once sang. And speaking of Russia, let these pampered clowns take their circus to Moscow or Beijing - you know, to countries that are actually major polluters, and let's see how it's received.

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

But Chris Packham knows his stepdaughter(?) won't have to worry about the consequences of an arrest. Good to see his pet dog is being well treated.

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Apparently they're the last generation of humans so the world will be able to get back to health after its little infection.

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Or the USA. In fact, Ms Thompson could have stayed in LA and protested. Is the film industry particularly green?

nomad and border_walker like this.
  19. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

it would,

but in this case, it is not a stupid cause,

it is a crucial one

MAGAorMIGA and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Something I bet few of them have thought about before they got arrested is how it affects their ability go to the USA. Whether on holiday or if they get jobs where they need to travel to the USA on business.

Generally British citizens can travel to the USA on the Visa Waiver Program. Have passport, get on plane whenever you want.

But if you have ever been arrested, even if the arrest did not result in a criminal conviction, or you have a criminal record (other than minor traffic offences dealt with by Fixed Penalty Notice), you are not eligible to travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program. You have to apply to the US embassy for a Visa, go along there and be interviewed. There's usually a several weeks wait for an interview.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/visa-waiver-program/additional-requirements/

It might be tricky explaining that to your employer in 10 years time.

The UK government shares information with US immigration about people with arrest records when they travel.

oldsomeman and nomad like this.