1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Arranging current pop songs for choirs

Discussion in 'Music' started by Firebird123, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Firebird123

Firebird123 New commenter

Hi everyone
    You may've seen my previous thread about using more current chart music in KS3 lessons...
    I'd like to arrange some current pop songs into 3 or 4 parts for our vocal ensembles to sing in a drive to keep our repertoire fresh and to entice greater numbers to our rehearsals!!
    Has anyone already done this?
    I am thinking about arranging some Take That/Adele/Jessie J/Ed Sheeran...
    Any thoughts (and arrangements!! [​IMG]) greatly appreciated.
    Firebird

2. midnightoil

midnightoil New commenter

By implication, Florian, it seems OK to perform such songs if they are NOT arranged. However, if one legally prints off a song from musicroom.com and a choir performs it with just a piano, is one deemed to have arranged or adapted it since the original accompanying instruments have been replaced?

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Yes - providing the venue has a PRS licence. Generally, the LA provides that for venues such as schools, but academies usually need to purchase their own PRS licence.
    The arrangement will be one that has been approved by the composer, so there is no problem in performing it as published (again, a PRS licence is needed for a public performance). In fact, the vast majority of pop music is published in the form of arrangements. The original full scoring is very rarely made public and, of course, often doesn't exist in notated form.

4. Once again, I think this a case of just do it. I'm doing Rolling in the Deep at the moment and my arrangement is pretty much as the recording. My Chamber choir have got arrangements of "You've got the love" which is wholly my own and "true colours" which is also mine. I don't worry about the rights to these because I just don't think anyone is going to make a fuss.
    Our accademy does have a PRS license and I have always assumed this covered our concerts.

5. Firebird - I've done a simple arrangement of Adele's Love Song (well it's a cover from The Cure) - works in 2/3 or 4 parts. I'll send you something if you give me an email

6. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Whilst Florian is totally correct...
    If any poster has <u>evidence </u>of a school being prosecuted (or even contacted) by publishers for the kind of activity outlined by the OP, then I should be interested to read it.
    I ask this every time that this issue arrises and I have yet to see any evidence that publishers care about this at all. I would not tell someone to break the law, however I have never seen a school teacher penalised for this.
    Please don't post with tales of "I heard of a school near me where the teacher was fired for..." etc.

Links anyone?

7. I'm doing a Glee-esque mash-up using four chords and twelve songs. My little Gleeks love it...and so do I! Although it's quite difficult to get them to sing it straight without warbling...I'm working on it...
    D, A, Bm, G.
    Don't stop believing; Firework; Someone Like You; Price Tag; Irreplaceable; Let it Be; Just Dance; I Got a Feeling; Happy Ending; She will Be Loved; Rolling in the Deep; With or Without You.
    I had to be a little poetic about which parts of the original songs I used but they all fit together nicely S1, S2, A1 and A2.
    Good luck.

8. If you're doing a 4-chord mash up have you come across 'The Axis of Awesome' and their 4-chord song:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMshvUReunc&feature=fvst

9. Firebird123

Hi

How exciting all this is!

Of course, I know I need to be careful about copyright etc and I am sure my school has a PRS licence but will double check!

I would love copies of the Adele arrangement and also of the Glee-style mash-up - will PM you both individually with my email address.

Firebird x

10. Firebird123

Oops - forgot to add also that I have used the Axis of Awesome 'Four Chords Song' in many of my lessons and the students love it!! x

11. dropje

dropje New commenter

The 4 chord song is my best SoW! Kids love it.
    Wayfaring Stranger (Ed Shearen) would be good as a multi part choir piece with a couple of good soloists. My Yr11's did is acapella for the ensemble performance.

12. thin lizzie

thin lizzie New commenter

Dropje,
    Any chance you could send me a copy of your 4 chord SoW please? How many lessons do you do it over?
    My email is mrsmusic72@yahoo.com.
    Thanks

13. Hi all. This thread has made me a bit giddy!! Please could I also ask for your SoW Dropje? MisterZ if you could also send me your mash-up that would be amazing? My email address is starfluf@hotmail.com Many thanks :0)

14. I'm a bit late in on this one but could l also request a copy, it will be going all the way to Australia.
    My email address is neridakirov@gmail.com

15. skirky

skirky New commenter

Dropje, please could I also have a copy of your 4 chord S.o.W. It sounds great!! My email is sbowskill@hotmail.co.uk Thankyou in advance!

16. cmf

cmf

Wow, thanks to who ever re started this topic.
    Please could I also ask
    for your SoW Dropje? It sounds like a fantastic idea. MisterZ if you could also send me your mash-up that
    would be amazing? My email address is crisfree2@yahoo.com Many

17. gliss

gliss New commenter

Sorry to jump onto the band wagon, but could I also have a copy kfern@hotmail.co.uk. A big thank you:)

18. MisterZ please could I also have a copy of your mashup!! It sounds great!!

My email is: Mariegold.wilson@gmail.com

Thanks in advance

MM