1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Arrangements for time out for sports day,school plays etc

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by mahoney, Apr 7, 2011.

1. When staff request time to go to their child's nativity play/sports day/take their child to the a docs appt, are there general guidelines that schools follow or is it down to the head's discretion?

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

For emergency medical appointments of course take your child as soon as possible informing the school you will be delayed/ in late/ needing the time to attend them.... If it's just routine, make the appointments after school evening appointments. You can, and legally have the right to request unpaid parental leave for plays/ sports etc. Most heads are supportive...

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

What do you mean by a legal right to request unpaid parental leave? Never heard this before. Would be interested to know the legal basis for such a request. Not being sarcastic, just trying to expand my knowledge.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Nor me. I'd be interested to see this law.

5. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

Presumeably, as we live in a democracy with the right to free speech, one can always ask for time off...and the HT can quite equally refuse...

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Indeed! it's the notion of some law enshrining a person's right to ask for time off specifically to watch the nativity or sports day that intrigued me.

7. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

The parental leave is not just "care" of the child - it can be for "spending more time with them while they're young", or taking them to see grandparents. So sports day probably would be covered - but only if you're prepared to take a whole week's unpaid leave, since that's the minimum you can take. (And sod's law says that it rains and sports day is postponed...)

8. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

(Oh, and yes, only until they're five, so only covers nursery / reception for summer birthdays.

9. Crowbob

The Regulations say:
    is
    entitled, in accordance with these Regulations, to be absent from work
    on parental leave for the purpose of caring for that child.
    So, entitlement turns on the meaning of the phrase "purpose of caring for that child". I expect it would be widely interpreted by the courts, but I still wonder whether having time off specifically for a sports day/nativity falls within that definition.

10. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I was looking at
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Moneyandworkentitlements/WorkAndFamilies/Parentalleaveandflexibleworking/DG_10029416

It does sound as if things are not as clear as they might be. I think maybe they're trying to say that there being another parent at home does not preclude you from taking parental leave; so it's not just for "childcare" in the "somebody has to look after the child" sense, but it does have to involve spending some time with the child, not having a week off to paint the spare room or go away without the child.
    The link above doesn't mention nativities, but it does mention "looking at new schools".
    It's probably not going to get tested, because nobody's going to take a week off unpaid in order to go to a nativity, anyway.

11. Thanks for all your detailed answers and thoughts - you really are a knowledgeable bunch! [​IMG]
    I was wondering if the goodwill of a head allowing timeoff for this would be repaid in the future goodwill of the staff or if unpaid leave is the way to go.

12. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

In our school staff have been allowed to go to Nativities etc if they can arrange their PPA time to coincide.
    Except for the HT of course.[​IMG]

13. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I am afraid I would advocate that unpaid is the way to go - I am a parent myself - but I cannot imagine the non-parent colleagues being wonderfully happy if paid leave for such matters was allowed.

14. It doesn't exist. All it means is "you can ask".
    I can ask you to give me all your money. Doesn't mean you have to consider it (please do).

15. To include sports day etc. the definition of caring would have to be drawn so loosely that it would encompass almost anything that might benefit the child in any way whatsoever.

16. Crowbob

Remember that this right stems from EU law. Loose interpretation has its home in the European Court of Justice.