1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Army" of retired teachers to help children catch up.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by phlogiston, Apr 26, 2020.

1. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Robert Halfon, Higher Education Minister has come up with a nifty wheeze.
    Mary Bousted said
    When asked if it would be a good idea to have retired teachers working in schools given older people are more at risk of dying if they contract coronavirus, Mr Halfon cited the example of the retired doctors and nurses who had successfully returned to support the NHS.

As we know, some of these retired medics died prematurely.

Maybe if they'd treated teachers better, some of them would still be working in mainstream schools.
    I note there's no pay.
    I note that few recent graduates (the other group he's thinking to ask) have the independent means to work for free.
    As for me, I will be continuing to work with the disadvantaged children I already work with.

snowyhead and Catgirl1964 like this.
  2. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Oh dear. Some of them are really buying into this faux "war effort" rhetoric aren't they?

snowyhead, agathamorse and Yoda- like this.
  3. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Well Robert what's holding you back. Lead by example. Don't forget the head scarf and belt with a thousand stitches. Our Emperor Boris will be impressed.

4. sandolina

sandolina New commenter

why how does federal money divide so not call volunteers? and when the crisis then hear loud statements?

5. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Don't get me started!:mad:

We already have over 300,000 qualified teacher of working age currently not working in UK schools and of them 100,000 NQTs that have yet to complete induction. Even when we take into consideration some of them, may never want to return to the chalk face, there are still tens of thousands who have registered an interest in returning to teach.

I hope whatever scheme this MP has involves PAYING these teachers with money, not via thanks or praise.

6. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

Is this the 'army' of retired teachers who (despite having taught for decades and being respected and highly-skilled teachers) were put on capability, and whose careers ended ignominiously by simply disappearing on sick leave while a Bright Young Thing at half the cost moved into their classroom to teach the way the SLT demanded?

'Cos if it's them, I don't think they're coming back. Listen - if you hold this board rubber to your ear, you can hear them laughing...

7. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

I would add that those retired medics were all wearing ppe and still died.

Anyway, when will the army get the chance to spend time with the students? After lockdown schools will be running with half timetables with half of the students to enable social distancing? Where would this teaching take place? Online?

Ludicrous.

Catgirl1964 and agathamorse like this.
  8. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Ludicrous.

I would like to see Grove grovelling on his knees to beg the teachers he destroyed to come back.

But it wont have much affect on those whose physical and mental health he totally destroyed, or those he drove to heart attacks or suicides

Piscean1, tenpast7, Jamvic and 7 others like this.
  9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

So why would you want a supply teacher when you can have one of Dad's Army to cover?

tenpast7, Lidnod, MarieAnn18 and 3 others like this.
  10. Symingtons

Symingtons New commenter

And who would pay for all the child protection clearances needed?

11. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

Given that some of these were older, experienced and therefore expensive teachers who were booted out--particularly in those MATs--by those SLTs in shiny 3-piece suits and then replaced with younger, inexperienced and cheap NQTs, would it be morally wrong for these older guys to utterly ignore this call for help?

12. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

Dr Jay, you just took the words right out of my mouth! I was thinking the exact same thing! Why should they, only to probably be booted away again? I'm nowhere near retirement but hell will have to freeze over before I get back into teacher full stop now that supposedly there is a recruitment crisis. Chances are, those who want to help out will just be taking the dross while the goody goody members of staff work with the ones who can just get on with it.

Catgirl1964 and agathamorse like this.
  13. a1976

I don't think it was just Gove though. He just carried on from Kelly and other Labour idiots. The bottom line is that education is stuffed full of the ignoramuses from all walks of life. Since 2003, its become full of people who couldn't hack it in life.

14. Symingtons

Symingtons New commenter

The obvious answer is for the retried to come back and do the admin/leadership jobs safely in an office, whilst the younger SLT members who are less likely to die from Coronavirus go back to the chalkface and teach 40 periods or so a week.

15. phlogiston

You hit unlucky then. 2/3 of the ones I had mostly tried to do what I asked (give or take), most of the rest were worthwhile even if wriggly, distracted and even occasionally idle.
    Very few were actively hostile, and most of them have turned into civilised adults. Usually, what I was told to offer wasn't what they needed.
    A significant fraction of the few who ended up in court were nice kids when they were at school. You can never tell!

Compassman likes this.
  16. phlogiston

Still not planning to go back though!
    Too busy in my nicer workplace.

Compassman likes this.
  17. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

The answer will be: "Bu@@er off!"

Compassman likes this.
  18. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Run that one past me again.

phlogiston likes this.
  19. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

I bet they won't survive the second week if they survived the first. I'm told a headteacher (who got lucky, circumstantially, to be in that position today), never previously taught ALevel. She currently teaches an ALevel unit, and her students reckon she's the poorest amongst those delivering the subject. How many years of classroom experience do people gain these days before becoming heads?

Piscean1 and tenpast7 like this.
  20. a1976

This headteacher's name wouldn't be Tracey would it?