1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Arithmetic

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lilachardy, Feb 15, 2016.

1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I am increasingly horrified and astounded by the number of spammy posts on Facebook along the lines of
    7 - 4 + 3 x 0 + 1 = ?

3 - 3 x 6 + 2 = ?

Where THOUSANDS of people have posted their answer, and most of them are wrong. I expect bottom set students to get this sort of thing right, and quickly too.

I don't know why I'm posting this here. I just needed to vent my frustration with standards in society!

2. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Try the maths quiz in today's Guardian.

3. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Gosh we must have nothing better to do then.... and the answers are ... :) ?

4. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

It's a bit of a teachery trick question though, because of the assumption about order-priority given to multiplication.

5. lilachardy

In what way is it trickery? It's just fact.

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

There is no assumption about order-priority, just a clear set of rules. Nothing about trickery. More about clarity and consistency.

lilachardy likes this.
  7. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Of course there is! If you don't do the multiplication first you get a different answer!

8. lilachardy

In what way is that a trick?
    If you do it wrong you get the wrong answer....true in many situations, but not a trick.

9. bombaysapphire

Of course you get a different answer if you don't do the multiplication first. The fact that you do multiplication first isn't an assumption. It is a rule.

10. lilachardy

Helping your Uncle Jack off a horse.
    Helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Different results there - is that a trick?

Eureka! likes this.
  11. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I know it's the rule.. but people don't normally do arithmetic by using expressions. Most people will only meet such an expression in school rather than real life. So it's not quite such an indictment of popular arithmetic that Lilac is making out, IMOSHO.

12. lilachardy

Erm no - that rule applies to every single calculation you do, even in 'real life'.

13. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Think about it - your example is written out as an expression. People don't do that in real life. The rule is not needed in RL by most because, for most, there is nothing written out , or if it is, it will be an idiosyncratic concoction of numbers and subcalculations that they jot down, not a proper expression.

FritzGrade likes this.
  14. lilachardy

Okay, I see what you're getting at.
    But are you not shocked that people can't perform simple calculations correctly?

15. bombaysapphire

I am still struggling to understand why you described the correct method as

16. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

It's like you've never shopped for groceries.

17. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Don't we all? Apart from one or two notable exceptions.;)

18. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

It would be interesting, Lilac, to know if most of the wrong answers are "right " if the operator priorities follow different precedence rules - e.g. first come first served....

19. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

A cheap calculator (which must be right) will give a different answer to a mathematician.
    Truth is, when I learnt the numbers, they just went in and it was no effort at all. I'm now realising just how hard and unintuitive some folk find numbers.

20. lilachardy

Some of them.