1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Arithmetic Workbook and Questions for Reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by jewish1, May 13, 2019 at 8:51 PM.

1. jewish1

jewish1 New commenter

I have created two arithmetic resources for Reception, free to download and is also available on Amazon for Parents as the following book title of 'Arithmetic Workbook for Reception'.
    Can you please review my work after you have used your download.

Attached Files:

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Sorry, but this is not at all appropriate for reception, it doesn't even mention the EYFS, instead referring to programmes of study and the national curruculum. I wonder how many reception teachers are doing 'arithmetic test questions'? Or how many think their 4/5 year olds should be faced with pages of 'sums',

Your book really doesn't fit with good EYFS pedagogy. It's way too abstract and complex.

May2 and bonxie like this.
  3. jewish1

jewish1 New commenter

Thank you for your comment, using concrete objects is not abstract and the use of them to aid understanding with good explanations dramatically reduces any complexity. I would not expect any 4/5 year old to sit down and try to work out page after page of sums. To raise attainment and have high expectations, I would expect those children to be shown and taught how to calculate these sums at various stages throughout the academic year to meet the expectations of Reception, EYFS. To be frank, too may pupils progress is limited not by their own skills and abilities, but by those persons who believe they cannot achieve or do not give them the chance to even try. This book has been written for those Teachers and Parents who would like a resource to use that will enable their child to meet the end of year expectations of Reception, EYFS, instead of their child being held back or told they cannot meet expectations.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

And incorrect!

Number Sentences are the arithmetic test questions written in a real-life reasoning and problem solving scenario.
    No they aren't.
    A number sentence is an arrangement of numbers and symbols, such as the following:

6 + 7 = 13
    45 - 6 = 39
    8 x 9 = 72
    48 ÷ 8 = 6

Teachers used to call of the above 'sums', but this is confusing for children, as the word 'sum' is a term that should only be used when talking about addition.
    Problem being we cannot possibly use it...!

bonxie likes this.
  5. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner New commenter

Totally agree Grumbleweed

6. jewish1

jewish1 New commenter

Thanks for your review. The number sentence is written in words using a real life scenario not a sum and the expectation is to use physical concrete objects and mathematical vocabulary to explain how to calculate the answer correctly and accurately.
    So am i to believe from your review that you are teaching maths without using concrete objects and not putting calculations into the context of a real life scenario, as well as enabling their understanding using pictorial representations. If so then I would like to know why and how you do actually teach your pupils to meet Reception, EYFS, maths expectations.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

What expectation are you referring to? Following written calculations is not an ELG.
    Really?
    WOW!
    I just cannot begin to explain how very far away from any of the characteristics of learning, the ELGs or best practice in EYFS your booklet is. The last thing it will do is enable anyone to meet expectations.

bonxie likes this.
  8. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Then why produce booklets full of pages and pages of these types of questions?
    There are plenty ways of better ways of ensuring young children make good progress in maths. These methods are practical and much more enjoyable than doing question after question from photocopied sheets.

9. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

High expectations is not about pushing children into higher and higher abstract activities.
    Much of your booklet does not match EYFS expectations, so I don't believe you are that familiar with the ELG, and the exemplification materials in the EYFS handbook.
    No teachers tell children they can't meet expectations, but meeting YOUR expectations are unrealistic, if you think your book represents typical practice for 4 year olds.

So:
    Please tell me where in the EYFS it states

Using number lines for counting on and back (year one pos)
    Part whole method (year one)
    Written number sentences using +,-, ÷(year one and two)
    Written 1/2 as in find 1/2 of.. ( year two)
    Multiples of 2,3,4 (years 1 and 2)

Then in your arithmetic questions booklet, it begins with a 200 square, 10s table and multiplication tables. Year R? Really? You clearly genuinely believe this is appropriate for 4 /5 year olds and are telling parents so. Have you considered how parents may feel opening your book seeing those things and really believing their 4 year old needs to understand them?

Hmm, it's no wonder we have a population of children ( and adults) with maths anxiety, you might have seen the thread about this on education.

10. caterpillartobutterfly

A number sentence isn't a question written in words, that would be a word problem. how they are answered is largely irrelevant, your definition of number sentence is still incorrect.
    I certainly do all of these things. However, I can't for the life of me see how to use your booklet.
    Talking, playing, discovering, problem solving, enjoying, succeeding, etc, etc.

11. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I am particularly baffled as to how answering a page of questions where every answer is 10 will help anyone.

12. jewish1

jewish1 New commenter

My workbook provides a person an efficient way of teaching a child how to calculate arithmetic quetions that a 4/5 year old needs to be able to do correctly independently, enabling and ensuring a continuity of progress in years 1 and 2. There are most definitely other efficient ways of teaching the same arithmetic. I'm offering one that works once applied consistently.

13. May2

May2 Established commenter

I do wonder about the OP background and whether they have actually taught Reception in a .UK school. They have this booklet on resources and say it is in line with the mathematics program of study in accordance with the National Curriculum. I actually thought the National Curriculum started at Year 1, the start of Key Stage 1. Reception and Nursery being separate as EYFS. If you read all the blurb about it on resources I hardly think it will encourage any teachers to use it.