1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Arithmetic and Reasoning

Discussion in 'Primary' started by misshughessph, May 11, 2016.

1. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

So . . .now that we can talk about them, what was the question that wasn't on the curriculum and which one had two possible answers?

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I think it was the percentage one where it said ( cant remember the numbers but something like )
    15% x 450. ( rather than the usual 15% OF 450
    Some children worked out 15% of 450 and then multiplied this BY 450:mad:

cassandramark2 likes this.
  3. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I thought that would be the tough one. I imagine it threw a fair few children. There is still only one answer though.

The one that was 2/5 x 140 was a bit mean as the mark scheme only accepts 56, not 280/5.

4. nicbeevers

nicbeevers New commenter

Not sure if this had been commented on before but I opened a couple of MLP (modified large print) versions of the arithmetic paper for two girls only to find the print smaller than the standard version. 1 managed to see it, the other opted for the standard as she couldn't read the "large" print. Does anyone check this stuff?

5. OG19

OG19 New commenter

Please can a maths expert let me know if 280/5 is acceptable as an answer.

On the sample test, question 30 is 17 x 1 1/2 .

The answer given is 25 1/2 and the additional guidance says...Accept equivalent fractions or an exact decimal equivalent, e.g. 25.5

Is there a mathematical reason why equivalent fractions aren't specified in the additional guidance for this year's question?

6. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

I think I remember reading in the instructions (which we read out at the beginning of the test ) that if the question had a mixed fraction the answer should be given as a mixed fraction...something along those lines anyway.

7. OG19

OG19 New commenter

Cheers for the reply.
    It says in the instructions...For questions expressed as common fractions or mixed numbers, you should give your answers as common fractions or mixed numbers...so I'm still baffled.

8. MrsDrink

MrsDrink New commenter

The mark scheme is available online.

9. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter