1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Arithmetic and Reasoning

Discussion in 'Primary' started by misshughessph, May 11, 2016.

1. Bakewelltart2002

Bakewelltart2002 New commenter

We had a maths one with the centre page not completely stapled too.

2. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Thank you @Bakewelltart2002. Did anyone else have the same issues at their school?

3. TES_Rosaline

Thank you @nick909.

Thank you @Lois1964.

4. tedhat

tedhat Occasional commenter

Yep - we had exactly the same thing - several with middle page having only one staple - made me quite neurotic!!

5. TES_Rosaline

6. Carolyne740

Carolyne740 New commenter

Rosaline.

We didn't have any issues with the main papers but we did with the modified papers.

Firstly, the arithmetic paper di not have any squared paper to enable the chn to set out their calculations.
    Secondly, neither of the reasoning paper had any visual images - instead they had the word representation. This I feel was an issue for them, in particular one question today which was shown very well visually, was not shown in the same way on the modified papers and would therefore mean that the chn sitting this paper were at a disadvantage. Obviously I can't go into detail about the question at the moment.

The lack of squared paper was also a massive issue too. Even more so because we could not give the chn squared paper to compensate!

7. egosumquisum

egosumquisum New commenter

Fair but pointless. No real life application but easy to mark.

8. TES_Rosaline

Sorry to hear that @Carolyne740. Thank you for letting me know.

9. Gillimarie

Gillimarie New commenter

Yes I know what you mean and agree they had never come across that presentation.

10. zachjoe1

zachjoe1 New commenter

My first experience of SATs as a year 6 teacher. It all seems to have gone well at our school regardless of what results materialise in July; the children have worked hard and didn't seem to get too worked up over them. Several of them seemed to enjoy the extra attention. Our SEN children struggled to access a lot of the maths reasoning questions even though some of them had readers. Reasoning questions demand quite a high level of reading skills to be able to get to the maths, which is fair enough but with 2 papers out of the 3 being reasoning based, it does seem to disadvantage the poorest readers, who had already been disheartened by a particularly hard English reading paper.

11. D1p5t1ck

D1p5t1ck New commenter

Zachjoe-you make much sense with what you've said. The tests favour more able pupils in how they are organised.
    The only test which has real parity is the arithmetic one as it is wordless.

zachjoe1 likes this.
  12. coco44

coco44 New commenter

One of our packs of "paper 2" maths had some paper ones in it. Thankfully we had over ordered so had enough. Still not good tho....

13. TES_Rosaline

Hi @coco44, thank you for your comment. Please can you give me more details? When you say "some paper ones in it", what do you mean?

14. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

I think coco44 meant there were copies of the Paper 1 Maths test in the Paper 2 packs.

Our Paper 2 tests (the first reasoning paper) were very poorly stapled. Five out of my 20 children had their middle pages detach completely.

15. Dougal68

Dougal68 New commenter

The differences between the visually impaired paper, and main paper were very significant. Not only was squared paper and diagrams missing, but some questions were changed. Some questions that offered 5 possible answers in the main paper only offered 4 in the modified paper. We assumed that we would just get a larger copy of the main paper (which shouldn't be too hard to do), but we got a noticeably different paper. The layout of some of the questions was very confusing compared to the main papers. Of course they may well have fully trialled the modified paper to ensure that it was comparable to the main ones.

16. TES_Rosaline

17. Carolyne740

Carolyne740 New commenter

Thank you Dougal68 - I couldn't agree more.
    See my separate thread about this and who I have contacted so far ...
    Another voice against this paper is much appreciated - there will be so few of us I expect.

18. coco44

coco44 New commenter

When we opened the pack and handed out the papers some children had a "paper one" when all the papers in the packs should have been "paper 2"

As you can only open the sealed packs moments before the tests begin we could have been screwed had we not had a few spare!!

19. TES_Rosaline

20. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

TOTALLY agree. No idea why the government hasn't suggested this since they are so keen on holding schools to account.

It's fairer on the children too. High ability children do not currently stand out in the tests as they are the only ones left to get on with it, while others are whisked off in small groups with readers or adults to "keep them focussed". Everyone needs to meet the standard so there is an artificially small difference in results between HA and LA. If the tests were sat like GCSEs there would be quite a difference I reckon.