1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Arithmetic and Reasoning

Discussion in 'Primary' started by misshughessph, May 11, 2016.

1. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Who do you think?

v1vam likes this.
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Saw this and thought it might cheer us all up. One more day people! I agree, arithmetic was alright - apart from one question which I'm not sure is in our curriculum. Reasoning, I thought was fair. All my kids thought the first half was 'OK' but the second half was hard, which with no level 6 papers (or levels) I suppose is to be expected. Onwards and upwards.

emmat34 likes this.
  4. v1vam

v1vam New commenter

Have secondary schools been told about resits?- not that I am aware - but it would be such a fabulous amazing brilliant idea to get children disaffected at the end of primary education to have another go at these tests so that they can have another go at losing their self-esteem and fail again. By the way - did we all see the article on suicide barriers for chinese schools. I wonder if you can buy shares in the company that makes them - it could be a cracking investment.

5. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Do indys have to do these tests?
    And do they choose to if they don't?

And if not, and they're choosing not to, do 'free schools'?

So could they just choose to do this paper which you all seem to like, and bin the others?

6. acko1234

acko1234 New commenter

Agree about the one question. Glad it's not just me.

7. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Hmm, now I'm intrigued by what one you're talking about.

8. michaelharrigan

michaelharrigan New commenter

My class (lower ability) found paper 2 very tough. Very proud of their effort and maturity this year. No tears! First year ever. Ps. We all laughed our socks off about the length of the reading test. Questions were OK, but the volume of reading surprised me.

9. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

The Gov has said that the resits will be for 2017. When Year 5 go to Year 7. They are going to send sample papers to high schools in late Autumn.

10. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Ensure that your horse receives regular exercise and it'll drink. Unless you're a bad teacher, in which case you'll not exercise your horse but spend years hoping it will discover how to exercise for itself and then when it's on the point of collapse from your neglect you can blame the RSPCA for carrying out an inspection.

11. spmills

spmills New commenter

Agree with all about that particular question.
    I have trawled the National Curriculum document and the test developers materials and neither of the documents present it like that. It is presented as we would expect - just another thing to 'catch our children out'!

Gillimarie and tedhat like this.
  12. misshughessph

misshughessph New commenter

One local school, which shall remain nameless, offered a private area and an adult to read out questions to all year 6 children. A child told her mother this info so whether it is a credible story, I cant say. However, the child isn't special needs or in need of emotional support, nor does she find it hard to focus. I do think some schools make the most of this but I don't think it is right - in fact, I'm sure it's not allowed! Any child with 1-2-1 supervision or scribing has been accounted for with valid reasons. Apparently, this child turned down the offer...!

13. georgepwalsh

georgepwalsh New commenter

I'm not sure which arithmetic question others are referring to. I'm probably just being thick - hopefully somebody could let me know next week?

14. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

15. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

I'm just surprised the 'consultation' hasn't been clear-cut seeing as it was meant to take place during 2016. You'd think they'd offer some sort of guidance or ask questions about how this would work in practice rather than just send out same papers. I know the resits are meant to start next year but when would be good to know - is it really going to be December? In a particular week? I've heard several dates bandied around but nothing definite. What are we going to do if a child doesn't make the pass mark again? Do they have to resit for the whole year? Into Year 8? I'm worried that children with learning difficulties will be made to resit the test over and over again with no learning gains, missing out on the normal Year 7 curriculum and putting them even further behind. The grammar portion of the tests in particular are almost entirely useless at secondary school so if the child keeps missing out on that test, it seems a total waste of time to not let them access the normal curriculum. How will schools be judged on the results? Will they be published in the same way as primary schools' results are published? If a child is 'level 3' but that is brilliant for them (I'm thinking particularly of my students with learning difficulties), do I just keep pushing the same stuff over and over and over and over? It sounds crushing and awful.

16. steedanthony

steedanthony New commenter

Hello. Secondary teacher here. Does anybody know when these papers will be available to download and view?

17. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Not for quite some time, usually. Months.

18. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hi,

Did anyone encounter any problems with the maths paper this year? For example, any missing papers or problems with the photocopying?

19. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Not with missing papers. As far as I can recall, there weren't any questions where the photocopying would have been an issue.

I believe there were issues with the copies for visually impaired children but I don't have direct experience of this.

20. Lois1964

Lois1964 New commenter

We had a couple of papers that had the centre page not stapled to the rest of the test booklet. I passed them onto my head to deal with as I had visions of them getting lost during the scanning process.

tedhat likes this.