1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Arithmetic and Reasoning

Discussion in 'Primary' started by misshughessph, May 11, 2016.

1. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

You're alright, I think I'll hand around.

The point of a forum is to give your opinions. Just because they don't fit into your narrow view of the world doesn't mean I shouldn't share them.

I've given many opinions on many of the topics. Discussed with other posters their thoughts and generally got on until you decided to tell me that I have worried my class.

In fact, whilst I have discussed each of the tests (obviously not content) and how we all feel about them, your only contribution has been to have a go at another poster. Interesting. Now, why don't you stop having a go at other primary teachers and get back to discussing the topic at hand.

2. Milgod

I would say that although the arithmetic wasn't too bad, they were a little cheeky trying to catch children out with the different placing of the answer box early on. I think most handled it fine, but it might have thrown a few of the lowers.

3. tedhat

tedhat Occasional commenter

Without trying to stir things up further, can I say, in defence of Milgod, that I feel they were probably merely trying to defend themselves from implications of hovering - that is fair enough, surely? I'd do the same.... Please let's not have to ask people to remove themselves or take a break... we're all probably feeling pretty knackered now so it's not the time for it, surely?

We felt the arithmetic was pretty much to be expected (maybe with the exception of one question); the Reasoning, we felt OK generally, although the strugglers found it tricky (but that was to be expected). Now trying to second guess what might come up tomorrow in the hope that I can quickly recap things in the morning but the class have just voted on getting tomorrow's test out of the way at 9.30 rather than waiting until after break - can't blame them really!!!

Milgod likes this.
  4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Arithmetic reasonable but more difficult than samples. Most did well but lots of my lower attainers panicked and forgot what they know. I also do the glancing over the shoulder thing. Not a problem. Stop getting worked up over nothing, everyone.

Reasoning was tough.

I won't be recapping what was missed before tomorrow's test. Fed up of playing the game; shouldn't be exposing the kids to it. Other than potential resits, which I have a feeling won't happen (have any of our secondary friends heard a jot about or planned for these, yet?), the tests make not a bit of difference in these children's lives. Just want to get the tests done and get on with more interesting lessons all over again.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  5. jnet51

jnet51 New commenter

Arithmetic ok (much as expected)- some tricky ones. Reasoning started off ok, but some that really stumped the LA kids.
    BTW - I wander and glance and quietly mutter "you're doing really well" - even if they're not - keeps them going - they're just kids - that's what they are used to - positive comments from a teacher who cares passionately about them as individuals.

6. misshughessph

misshughessph New commenter

I wander around the classroom during the SATs test - I haven't seen anywhere stating that it's breaking a rule? How ridiculous.

Arithmetic was fine but some tricky questions on the reasoning. I assumed it might have been easier than the sample as this year was an interim year?

tedhat and Milgod like this.
  7. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

How do you get "hovering over pupils" from someone saying a "rough glance"?

And the rest of your assumptions are entirely baseless too, to the extent I suspect you're a troll.

acko1234, tedhat and Milgod like this.
  8. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

It was harder than I expected, but not horrendous.

9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

din057 and tedhat like this.
  10. m-george

m-george New commenter

Actually not a troll - simply stating an opinion that teachers shouldn't be checking pupil answers and counting up possible scores as they're completing the test. Obviously you do it too. Some teachers must have superior eye-sight to be able to take a 'rough glance' and decide on an overall score.

Since when did the primary forum become some hostile? Obviously some people are becoming ridiculously stressed out this week. Or maybe there's a different agenda here.

11. luv2teach6

luv2teach6 New commenter

Oh dear - so it is only me that thinks the Reasoning paper was a stinker!

tuffpup29 likes this.
  12. McLauz

McLauz New commenter

Nope, my class thought it was really hard as well. My lowers (who unfortunately make up half the class in this cohort) were stumped from the start :-(

luv2teach6 likes this.
  13. Haveblue

Haveblue New commenter

Milgod ignore the negativity and personal attacks. I too wander around the room smiling encouragingly and being readily available to those asking to have question read to them or just to know you care. Rather than being off putting, children I've taught find this reassuring. They want to know you are there with them - not to 'cheat or give them clues or answers' but just to be there.

If anything was going to make me cry or get stressed in a test, it would be being stared at with hawk eyes.

acko1234 likes this.
  14. Haveblue

Haveblue New commenter

On another note, I completely agree with the general consensus. Arithmetic ok but reasoning tricky after the first few pages.

Personally, I think the arithmetic paper is a much better idea than the mental maths test of previous years.

15. bernie30

bernie30 New commenter

Kids liked the arithmetic paper today - majority had plenty of time for checking. Few tricky ones I'd not seen before but very fair

Reasoning paper was mixed - my expected and secure children seemed very confident and even tackled the 4 step problem one at end with gusto- my LA struggled on some tricky ones!! But very like sample - let's see what tomorrow brings .

Nearly there people!!!

16. Milgod

Cheers all. I was starting to think that I'd been doing it wrong for tears. As some have said, it's reassuring for a lot of the children. Anyway, we're all different. As long as the children are happy then that's all that should matter.

I've been thinking about what didn't come up in the paper today. I won't be doing any extra revision or anything though; the children are ready to go first thing.

17. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Quick answer: nope, not a jot. There was meant to be consultation this year but it's May and nothing yet. Haven't been told when they'll be (although December seems to have been suggested), whether children will have to resit the whole thing or just individual papers, where the cut-off will be in terms of which children will be expected to resit, how on earth we'll then make up the massive chunk of Year 7 curriculum they'll have missed, how we'll engage students already demoralised from having 'failed' and then being forced to redo a test God knows how many times, what the consequences are if the children don't make it again...nothing at all.
    It's great fun. I love not being able to plan for the future!

Milgod likes this.
  18. MrsAEgg

MrsAEgg New commenter

Agree that Arithmetic was as expected although many of mine fell short on time, overthinking perhaps. Reasoning 1 I felt was pretty much as I expected but very proud of the kids who gave it everything. Looking forward to break tomorrow when it is done, forgetting about July at present. As to invigilating, sorry if it offends anyone, but sitting at your desk knitting is not what you are being paid to do. A quiet, unobtrusive, supportive, smiling presence is what my class expect and get and that is what I believe we should be doing. Roll on Friday and a return to real education.

Northhead and acko1234 like this.
  19. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I wonder who it is who tells these children that they have 'failed'.

20. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Well, you don't often have to resit an exam you have passed!

Benbamboo likes this.