1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Arithmetic and Reasoning

Discussion in 'Primary' started by misshughessph, May 11, 2016.

1. misshughessph

misshughessph New commenter

Last-minute reminder for your little cherubs today:

• write answers in the answer box;
    • make your decimal points stand out and NOT look like a comma;
    • form your numbers correctly; zero doesn't resemble a six, etc.
    :)

Bonne chance!

2. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I thought arithmetic was alright. Some trickier ones later on (I do have the lower set).

A rough glance as we walked round would indicate that we got a reasonable number over 30.

3. TheGazMan

TheGazMan New commenter

Few complaints with either of these tests. All seemed fair and as was expected. Few tricky ones but that is to be expected. If only the reading tests hadn't been such a farce, there would have been few complaints at all this week.

4. m-george

m-george New commenter

Hovering over pupils while they're trying to complete a test and counting up their answers surely is against the rules never mind the extra stress you're adding to the pupils who are trying to do the test! Jeez - you even mention 'we' which means you weren't the only one doing it. Thank god I'm not at your school. No wonder kids are getting anxious and upset. Let them just get on with it.

colinbillett and MrsKK like this.
  5. mrcooldude

mrcooldude Occasional commenter

Arithmetic = fair
    Reasoning 1 = deceptively hard

lljenkins and teresa1970 like this.
  6. willadams33

willadams33 New commenter

Arithmatic: Fair, but still a little harder than sample.

Reasoning 1: Deceptively hard - much more challenging than the sample. No easy marks anywhere.

7. bookbluelemur

bookbluelemur New commenter

Agree

teresa1970 and rjcrump like this.
  8. danbeier

danbeier New commenter

Arithmetic = great.
    Reasoning 1: First half very straightforward, then a few to think about and work through methodically, but nothing that was unfair.

9. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

I agree entirely. That is not the way to invigilate. You sit at the front and watch like a hawk and get up and move over quietly to a child only when necessary.

As KS2 tests are so high stakes these days they ought to be invigilated in the same way as external exams at 16 and 18 are now to minimise cheating both by institutions and pupils.

My own child last year was upset for the greater proportion of ks2 test week because TWO invigilators had come over and suggested that an answer my child had written in a level 6 paper should be reconsidered. My child was distraught that he/she did not know what on earth they were talking about and wondered how they knew if they were right anyhow. My child particularly hated the idea that his/her work had been read over his/her shoulder.

Cried everyday about the tests after that because thought he/she was doing really badly. Was very confident about tests before that but the teachers knew that they liked being left undisturbed while working too.

Sit at the front and do some knitting. It sure is nervewracking watching your own pupils do an external exam - and it shouldn't be allowed. I invigilated my own pupils at GCSE and A level many years ago. It's a horrible experience. But going round the room looking at what they're doing is not going to help anyone. Also, you can't survey the room properly for problems, cheating etc if you're going round reading pupils' papers.

10. Milgod

Yeah, that's what I said. . .

If you can't get a pretty good idea of how the children are doing then you don't deserve to be in the classroom. As I said, everyone did pretty well so it obviously didn't put them off. In fact, when the test was over most said they wanted to do another. Sounds to me like you're angry at something and looking for someone to shout at. Maybe try some stress relief exercises.

11. Milgod

You what? GCSE invigilators walk around whilst the tests are on.

You survey the room a damn sight better by walking around than sat with only one view.

Maybe you put too much pressure on your pupils if they're worried by the teacher (who they know well and like) walking around.

Also, don't try and associate me with cheating. I can't stand the fact that some schools do things like that.

12. m-george

m-george New commenter

Milgod, you are really over-reacting to any opinion that differs from your own. I do deserve to be in the classroom and looking at pupil answers during one test certainly doesn't help me get a 'pretty good idea' of how they are doing - I've already taught them for a year and don't need a one-off result from a test to tell me how they are doing.

GCSE invigilators do walk around the room though they certainly do not look at anything a pupil writes. I actually know some invigilators and they would all agree that hovering around pupils during an exam and reading what they have written does negatively affect pupils. In fact invigilator training in many educational institutions (not just secondary) specifically directs invigilators to not hover or stand too closely to pupils for this reason.

13. m-george

m-george New commenter

Of course I fully monitor what is happening during the test in case there are any issues but I believe a key part of that role is also giving pupils the space to just get on with it.

14. Milgod

You're doing it again. I never said i hovered. I fail to see how you can't get an idea of how well they're doing by a quick glance. We're talking arithmetic here. It's either right or wrong. I never said that I could tell how well they're doing over a whole year by just one test - not even sure how that's relevant at all.

I don't mind people having a different opinion. I do take offence to people who tell me I've stressed out my class when in actual fact they all felt great today.

I'll state again. I don't hover. I use my eyes, it's not a tricky concept if you can complete the arithmetic paper yourself.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  15. Milgod

And that's how your class are used to things. Mine aren't.

Judging by the result we get and the positive feedback I always get, I'll stick with what I know and you stick to what you know.

I have no problem with that. You're the one putting your own way of doing things above others. Some children might be freaked out by their teacher just sitting at the front watching them like a hawk.

16. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Yes, I didn't explain well - GCSE invigilation will have changed since I did it.

I really don't see how you can judge children's scores by the looks on their faces.

I don't think it's a teacher's "fault" if a child feels uncomfortable about having their test paper read. It's a natural feeling in a lot of people. Also, I don't think a teacher is in a position to judge if it is bothering the child or not either. A lot of children do not show their feelings at school, particularly by end of year 6.

I felt much happier in GCSE exams than school internal exams because I knew it was going to be marked by someone I would never meet. Being aware of a teacher pausing by my desk long enough to read an answer would have spoiled that feeling.

17. Milgod

I don't want to get into a big thing about this, but I will clarify one more time. I don't hover to read. It's an arithmetic paper. You can walk and glance no problem. My class are also very used to how I do things. I feel confident in the fact that I know them well enough to tell what bothers them or not. I don't look at faces or anything - they're too busy calculating and writing to take notice of me.

Now, in the reasoning paper you get an idea of how they're doing when they ask to be read to. It's heartbreaking to see them put down the wrong answer after they spend so long working (or trying to) it out.

18. bramallblade

bramallblade New commenter

Getting back on topic...

I thought the arithmetic paper was fairly as expected. The cohort are quite strong with this and have shown me this all year all things considered. The first reasoning paper I thought was fairly tough. Some stinkers as usual. All in all, I think it matched the new curriculum. No idea how it will look in July though really.

19. Milgod

Out of all the tests, maths is the one that looks most like the sample papers. Easily.

20. m-george

m-george New commenter

Milgod, please take a break from the forums. You're too busy commenting on so many of the primary threads you're completely over-reacting. Thanks bramallblade for getting things back on course.

I agree that the test was pretty much what we were expecting - a couple of tricky ones though again, that was to be expected!