1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Aristotle's causes....

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by consonant, Dec 8, 2011.

1. I know this is cheeky but any help in terms of structure would be welcomed...my daughter is struggling- not really with content but with actually how to structure her essay answers. She has become very despondant ...I think I may have to find her a tutor as her confidence is now so poor. But tonight's problem is-
    Describe Aristotle's teaching about the differences between the final cause and different sorts of causes.
    Discuss the strengths and weaknesses of Aristotle's causality.
    (If anyone in the Milton Keynes area wants to tutor her, please reply!)

2. I know this is cheeky but any help in terms of structure would be welcomed...my daughter is struggling- not really with content but with actually how to structure her essay answers. She has become very despondant ...I think I may have to find her a tutor as her confidence is now so poor. But tonight's problem is-
    Describe Aristotle's teaching about the differences between the final cause and different sorts of causes.
    Discuss the strengths and weaknesses of Aristotle's causality.
    (If anyone in the Milton Keynes area wants to tutor her, please reply!)

3. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

A quick google
    <ol>[*]Material cause: &ldquo;that from which, <as a constituent> present in it, a thing comes to be &hellip; e.g., the bronze and silver, and their genera, are causes of the statue and the bowl.&rdquo; [*]Formal cause: &ldquo;the form, i.e., the pattern &hellip; the form is the account of the essence &hellip; and the parts of the account.&rdquo; [*]Efficient cause: &ldquo;the source of the primary principle of change or stability,&rdquo; e.g., the man who gives advice, the father (of the child). &ldquo;The producer is a cause of the product, and the initiator of the change is a cause of what is changed.&rdquo; [*]Final cause: &ldquo;something&rsquo;s end (telos)&mdash;i.e., what it is for&mdash;is its cause, as health is <the cause> of walking.&rdquo; </ol>In short the final course focuses on the goal or ending. The final cause is the goal or purpose that something wants to achieve (work towards), or the reason why it the way it is (the final building). (ie passing and exam (end goal) is caused by revision.

The other causes focus more on its physical propities. ie whats its made from, how it looks, why it changed (ie poking a domino to make it move)