1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Arguments: Year 6. Need some new ideas please.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pixieperson, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Why not ask them? My class came up with some fantastic topics to discuss and as they had chosen them they really got into it. We put all the ideas up on the board and then they were able to choose the topic they were writing about.Many of them voluntarily did research at home to add to their writing as well.

2. I did "Should children be allowed to drive a car at the age of 11?" with my more able Year 6s. They came up with some great ideas as to why, really, they should/should not be driving. It was from a KS3 book and we adapted the age, but they got rather excited about it.

3. Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that replied; particularly Lulou (i think!) for the vivisection idea. We had a great debate and their writing as a result was excellent!. Thanks very much
    Just planning the X factor for tomorrow; I love this forum sometimes!

4. I'm teaching this unit now. I used ,'are gcse's too easy ?' wanted to do work on whether we should scrap says but I thought I might get in trouble ;). My kids are really enjoying talking about what will happen to gcse's because it will affect them.

5. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I did "should SATs be scrapped?" My kids all voted no, think they're a bit abnormal! We ended up doing a whole class shared writing and they decided to persuade the head to not scrap SATs. She was rather amused when I showed it to her!