1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Argument in the carpark!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by SleighBelle, May 2, 2011.

1. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

I've just had a bit of a row with 3 OAPs in Morrison's car park!
    I had just parked up and was grabbing my phone and wallet when another car parked next to me on the driver's side. The driver has not parked straight, so the rear passenger side was much closer to my car that the front.
    I waited to let them get out first (being dutiful and respectful to my elders and all that). The woman in the front passenger seat got out fine, but when she opened the rear door to let the woman in the back out, their door hit my car. A little shocked, I opened my door and got out sharpish to have a look. The first woman said 'It's alright!' but half an inch of my paintwork has been chipped off.
    I pointed this out to the male driver and his passengers, who immediately said that they hadn't even touched my car and it wasn't them. I asked if I could open their door again to demonstrate and showed them that it was, indeed, their door that had caused the damage. The driver then said 'Oh, you can T-Cut that out. Do you know what that is, dear?'
    That's when I lost my temper a bit! If they'd just apologised properly and appear to be a little bit mortified, I'd have left it. As it was, they were still denying it, saying that it's part and parcel of parking in a carpark, saying that I was cruel to worry three OAPs. I could not get across to them that they had damaged my car and that it was not my fault! In the end, I just told them that I was taking their registration number because I couldn't see another way forwards. I didn't even go into the supermarket in the end- I was so angry!
    So, now I've had a rant, does anyone have any advice? What can I feasibly do about it? Just suck it up and get on with it? Call my insurance? Find out their address (somehow) and send a truckload of cowpats to be dumped on their drive?

2. SleighBelle

I've just had a bit of a row with 3 OAPs in Morrison's car park!
    I had just parked up and was grabbing my phone and wallet when another car parked next to me on the driver's side. The driver has not parked straight, so the rear passenger side was much closer to my car that the front.
    I waited to let them get out first (being dutiful and respectful to my elders and all that). The woman in the front passenger seat got out fine, but when she opened the rear door to let the woman in the back out, their door hit my car. A little shocked, I opened my door and got out sharpish to have a look. The first woman said 'It's alright!' but half an inch of my paintwork has been chipped off.
    I pointed this out to the male driver and his passengers, who immediately said that they hadn't even touched my car and it wasn't them. I asked if I could open their door again to demonstrate and showed them that it was, indeed, their door that had caused the damage. The driver then said 'Oh, you can T-Cut that out. Do you know what that is, dear?'
    That's when I lost my temper a bit! If they'd just apologised properly and appear to be a little bit mortified, I'd have left it. As it was, they were still denying it, saying that it's part and parcel of parking in a carpark, saying that I was cruel to worry three OAPs. I could not get across to them that they had damaged my car and that it was not my fault! In the end, I just told them that I was taking their registration number because I couldn't see another way forwards. I didn't even go into the supermarket in the end- I was so angry!
    So, now I've had a rant, does anyone have any advice? What can I feasibly do about it? Just suck it up and get on with it? Call my insurance? Find out their address (somehow) and send a truckload of cowpats to be dumped on their drive?

3. Run your key (accidentally) from boot to bonnet.

4. Did you take a note of the car's registration or their names etc?

5. Like the cowpat idea!! HE!HE!

Just beccause they are OAPS doesn't give them the right to be so rude.
    Take a photo of the damage and make a claim or if it is not too bad just forget it!!

6. This won't help you now, but since getting my posh new car I park a long way away from the doors, where there is more room.

7. SleighBelle

DL, I've got their reg. number but they refused to give me their names or contact details.
    Bauble, tempting, very tempting! They stood at the entrance to the shop and watched me drive away, probably to make sure I didn't do that very thing!
    gorgy, I was parked slap bang in the middle of my bay- they parked after me, rather diagonally, which meant the rear door was very close to my car.

8. SleighBelle

magmac, sorry, missed you out! Do you have experience of claiming for this sort of thing? It's not a huge chip, but is visible.
    They really were rude to me, patronising, lying, stubborn and trying to make me feel guilty for not just giving in.

9. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

Won't help now, but always keep a cheap throwaway camera in your car so you can photograph the scene for evidence. Then send the lot to your insurers. Don't argue with people - never make it personal. Just photograph everything, tell them your going to make a claim for the damage they've done, and that's that.

10. You could try reporting it, Sleighbelle.
    Isn't it illegal not to give names etc, after their has been an accident? I suppose strictly speaking this was an accident.
    I wouldn't worry about them being elderly. I was involved in an accident with an elderly man, who quickly pointed out he was a Church of Ireland minister. This didn't stop him lying through his backteeth about what happened, and even where the accident happened.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If you put in a claim you'll have to pay the excess, it may mess up your no claims bonus, and it will probably increase your premium, and the premium of any other car's policy where you're a named driver. Technically it's an offence for the marauding OAPs not to give contact details etc if there's been damage to property. Presumably your car counts as property. That aside, the price of a quick repair may ultimately be less hassle than submitting a full claim. Not fair in the great scheme of things, but practical. I'd suggest you contact a mobile repair person who'll come to your address to fix the damage.

We had a car vandalised in a NCP a while ago. Its market value was a bit below £2000, and we realised that if we'd submitted a claim, the insurance company would have written it off because the assessor would have insisted on the soft top being replaced instead of repaired. They would also have kept the car and not returned it to us - that was in the smallprint. In the end I forgot about claiming and fixed all the damage myself for about £30. Since then I've been very wary about how and when to claim.

12. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

Firstly I hope that having a good rant on here has made you feel better. I agree that a simple acceptance and apology on their part would have helped - just remind yourself that karma will eventually balance things out. They will get their just deserts in one form or another...
    I've stopped worrying too much about the odd nick to the car door. I don't know if it is that parking spaces are getting smaller or that cars are getting bigger, or both, but there does seem to be more marks than used to be the case. It is annoying though, when I think how careful I am about only opening the door sufficiently to be able to squeeze out and not touch the door of the car parked alongside - only to find that others are just plain thoughtless.
    So on balance I'd go for the T-Cut option and just move on.

13. SleighBelle

magicsurfbus, that's exactly what I was thinking. It will almost definitely be more expensive to claim rather than just fix it myself.
    It's the injustice of it all that bugs me the most. Smoothnewt, thank you, I am a bit calmer now and seeing things more rationally. I wish I had stood my ground a bit more, taken pictures as well as their reg. number etc. Might have scared them into being a bit more careful and considerate in future.

14. It certainly will not be worth claiming [​IMG]

You might consider talking to the police ... as someone said they should have exchanged details ...
    A visit from a PSCO might remind them of their obligations in the future

15. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

As others have pointed out, there are so many pitfalls for you if you take it further. Even informing your insurers but not claiming can put your premiums up, and you will have to declare the accident for up to 5 years. As sick and annoying as it sounds, lack of morals and manners nowadays means these silly pensioners were, in fact, right - the ever increasing group of thick people rule now and they have decided it is OK to bash doors and roll trollies against other cars. Your only solution is to buy a £200 E-Bay special and bash them back.....or just go elsewhere, walk or do what most of us do now to avoid this....buy online. Welcome to Britain 2011.

16. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Occasional commenter

I don't think it's just that parking bays are getting narrower - I do think that people are just less careful and more selfish about how they park.
    In a small car park this morning there were 2 empty 'spaces' that were unusable because the cars next to them were park so badly - one was the inevitable 4x4 parked virtually diagonally. It takes seconds to straighten up!
    I hope you feel a bit better now - sounds infuriating!

17. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

That's the way to go, in my opinion. It wouldn't be worth making a claim for the damage as it would cost you in the end, but I would definitely report them to the police, they cannot refuse to give the name and address after having an accident.

18. I reckon ring the police. Then take them to small claims court. You cant do that unless you have their name and address. I wonder if the car was stolen - now that would be an amusing twist.

19. I appreciate your annoyance but to be honest dont think its worth doing much about. Like people have said, claiming would be pointless as it'd cost you more in excess and lost NCB. Reporting to the police is a possibility but to be honest Id feel a bit like I were wasting their time and think they have better things to do. Id just leave it be, put it down as one of those annoying things and get on with your life.

20. It is an annoying nuisance, they were rude. But I really think it is massively overreacting to suggest calling the police. There has been no accident as such, just a door hitting another door in the car park. This happens day in day out for numerous reasons.
    Just chalk it up as an annoyance and move on.