1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Arguing with the adamant ... is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by circuskevin, Jan 17, 2020.

1. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

Have you ever changed someone's mind on the other side of the fence on whatever issue?

There seem to be some very long running arguments

emerald52 and needabreak like this.
  2. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

I'm more of a lover than a fighter, so tend not to argue too much. I do love reading a good, informative debate though, and learning from the various angles that a topic can be viewed and discussed.

mathsmutt, cissy3, Alice K and 3 others like this.
  3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Yes, many with regard to climate change.

Mostly around making lifestyle changes.

Not very often with referees though.

4. colacao17

colacao17 Occasional commenter

No point in wasting energy arguing with those who are not open to views other than their own.
    How many posts before unicycles get a mention?
    Pick your battles and only fight the winnable ones.

5. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Wouldn’t dream of arguing with him. He’s lovely. 65 now :eek: where did the time go?

A829312B-467C-41BB-8F32-068671CA76F1.jpeg

caress, mathsmutt, rouxx and 4 others like this.
  6. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

People tend to "double down" when others argue with them over their beliefs. Debate, especially aggressive debate, entrenches them even further. Its actually better to ask questions. For example, deprogramming someone out of a cult tends to be a lot less in your face than it used to be, and is a lot more effective. Slightly off on a tangent there, but hey.

7. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

I do recall one student in my year group telling me that he couldn't understand how it was that when he was sent to me for various infractions he would arrive 'knowing' he was in the right but half an hour later would leave ready to apologise and knowing he'd been wrong.

8. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Every argument will change someone's mind. It will make them think from another's viewpoint. They may not change their stance on an issue but it has changed their mind. It has made them reflect on how the issue impacts on their own beliefs and values. We're never going to change others beliefs and values but we can change our minds about how they apply to an issue through arguing.

9. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Literally changed my neighbour's view on Scottish Independence over the garden fence through chats (over the garden fence)

10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Depends how drunk you are.

[​IMG]

blazer, Clive_Candy and Jamvic like this.
  11. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

He was in the year above me at Hornsey College of Art (which was part of Middlesex Poly - as was. I had one of those T Shirts with 'TooThickForUniversity' on - yes, cringeworthy, I know!)
    Anyway, I remember seeing him perform before he was famous. Just saying!
    Also, if you're still with me, I was in the same Halls as Chris Rea's younger brother.

12. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Do you mean on TES? That's often just the squabbling crew needling each other; quite a few threads go like that. I'm not sure changing anyone's mind is usually the goal.:rolleyes:

13. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

Anyone else remember Adam Adament (played by a very young Gerald Harper)

14. lunarita

lunarita Senior commenter

To paraphrase A J Muste.
    Changing their ideas is not why I do this. I do this so their ideas don't change me.

15. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I've now got the theme tune in my head! I can see him swishing about with his black cloak as the opening credits came up!

Aquamarina1234, Jamvic and cissy3 like this.
  16. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

17. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

There is usually an opportunity in an argument that is going nowhere, to introduce thread drift, which may turn out to be educational, amusing or otherwise entertaining.

sodalime and Jamvic like this.
  18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I do.

Wasn't allowed to watch it, though. My father described it as "bloody rubbish".

And it was, too.

mathsmutt and Jamvic like this.
  19. ajrowing

ajrowing Established commenter

Is that what's happened to the good news about the EU thread, and why it doesn't seem to have contained any good news for months?

Bill8899, mathsmutt and Jamvic like this.
  20. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

People are much more reluctant to change their mind once they have wriiten down their opinion and shared it,.

chelsea2 and cassandramark2 like this.