1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Arghh I'm losing my compassion...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by needabreak, Nov 7, 2019.

1. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Fed up hearing about how much help people need, tonight it's addicts who need to stop them killing themselves as their drug addiction develops and takes over or indeed takes their lives.

There are always times when people feel despair but to excuse drug use with that reason is annoying for people who simply make different and often difficult life choices so as not to be drawn into that lifestyle. Even folk with a comfy life, education and good jobs get drawn in... If they lose it all due to their addiction that's sad but seriously what can be done bar tolerate it, especially where their family and society has done all they/it can?

2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I've never had much compassion for drug addicts, prescription drugs aside. Making the effort to find a dealer and buy something you know is illegal is a very definite decision.

3. needabreak

I used to think it could be a momentary lapse that ended in addiction etc and so forth, though I feel my views are changing and I'm generally less tolerant of poor behaviour generally, while simultaneously feeling that when we tot up all the people allegedly "needing" help we will run out of people able to help.

4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

There is always terrible suffering and misery happening somewhere to innocent people. Everybody's life would be wasted totally if you suffered along in sympathy constantly every day of your life. You can care in principle, but don't try and feel compassion all the time. It is not what the human brain was designed for.

5. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

I feel compassion for those whose lives are so awful, so stressful, so meaningless, and have so little regard for the worthwhile nature of their lives that they resort to these substances. Such people are ill, and need medical and psychological/psychiatric intervention, rather than punishment. I can't help but feel that things were much better when doctors could prescribe drugs such as heroin to addicts.

vannie, sbkrobson and borges33 like this.
  6. needabreak

Seriously, I didn't know they did that, how did that work?

7. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Before 1967 they could - my Dad was pharmacy manager of Boots the Chemist in Manchester, and at the end of shop hours on Fridays a queue of addicts clutching their legal prescriptions would form, to receive their heroin doses, of the required purity and strength to keep them safe. Then it was banned, and the queues vanished. I don't think the addictions did, though.

monicabilongame likes this.
  8. needabreak

Crumbs. We'd be legally supplying every addict? Just heroin or coke etc? It would be a good replacement for religion... A true opiate of the masses.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Back then there were about 500 heroin addicts... not the circa. 200000 there are these days.

Indeed, banning the substances drove the addicts to turn to criminals to supply them... who in turn needed to grow their market to ensure their efforts were cost effective.

IMO the 'war' on drugs created the drugs problem we have today. Solving that problem is one of the challenges of the 21st century.

EmanuelShadrack and Laphroig like this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oh yes... Coca Cola. Started with Cocaine, then that was removed as the dangers came to light... but the sales dropped so they added heaps of sugar...

And we now have an obesity crisis ...

bombaysapphire and needabreak like this.
  11. needabreak

My post was tongue in cheek but I get that may not have been obvious.

I agree, we discourage smoking, want people to eat healthily and exercise (generally look after themselves) so I'm guessing providing their addictive recreational drugs isn't really a goer.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

And yet if we don't then we drive them deeper into the open arms of drug pushers.

Cannabis is a gateway drug for example... not because a puff on cannabis leads to drug addiction and cocaine, but because the people who sell cannabis also sell harder stuff...

Hence why [IMO] legalisation as practised in some parts of the world [Colorado, Portugal] might be the way forward.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. colacao17

colacao17 New commenter

Sometimes it's the dealers who go looking. And I imagine they can make it very tempting, very easy, very cheap. Until you're dependent.

lanokia likes this.
  14. colacao17

colacao17 New commenter

Don't we still do that? But now it's methadone or some other substitute that's supplied

15. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Having worked extensively in drug services I honestly think the general public is so poorly informed about substances and treatment it's pretty unlikely to be a focus of compassion.

sbkrobson and magic surf bus like this.
  16. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

You are absolutely correct.

It needs to be treated as a public health issue, along the lines of how Portugal do things, as mentioned by @lanokia just above.

sbkrobson and ilovesooty like this.
  17. needabreak

We could sedate the whole country and we'd not be so moany and miserable, sounds like a win.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    colacao17 likes this.
  18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Mission Statement for the BBC. :p

artboyusa likes this.
  19. needabreak

Ha you don't like public service broadcasting then? What next the NHS... Schools? :D:D:D

lanokia likes this.
  20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I don't see them as equatable... the BBC is entertainment.

The NHS and Schools have clear social functions and benefits. Other countries manage fine without demanding everyone shell out an annual charge for an entertainment service.