1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Argh self doubt

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Silent85, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Silent85

Silent85 New commenter

Does anyone else get bouts of it even now?

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

In my second headship I still occasionally have had 'they're going to find me out at some point' moments.
    It's entirely natural - it's the people who don't ever doubt themselves you have to worry about.

3. I remember two writers talking on a BBC show once about when they first got into writing and one said to the other "do you occasionally get the feeling that it's just a matter of time before you are found out?"
    The other replied "Yes, but isn't that true of just about every person in every profession?"
    It's not something that people often admit to in real life, but I realised that it is probably true.

4. A good friend told me when I was in my first term as a teacher having a 'they are going to find me out' moment, that it is very common for women in particular to feel like this until they have done the job three years or so.
    Even more common in professions such as education and medicine...

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Sheeeesh THREE years? I still have those moments and am about to finish my 15th year!

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I started teaching in 1981...
    Seriously - I truly believe that people who do not ever have moments of self-doubt are the least competent.

7. ha! glad I stumbled across this thread ... I have the "they're going to find me out feeling" before I have even started my NQT year ... just seems like a matter of time [​IMG]

8. Siddz

Siddz New commenter

I feel exactly the same way!

9. Yikes!
    Does this mean that this feeling is going to be permanent throughout my career!
    I was hoping it was just a phase I was going through.... [​IMG]

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL it is just a phase...but might be a recurring phase!

I've never really felt stressed or over worked. Sometimes I think someone will suddenly ask for this huge amount of paperwork or something that I've never ever done. That somehow I'm missing out half my job or something. Realistically I know I do all I need to, but occasionally reason goes out the window.

11. Silent85

Silent85 New commenter

Glad its not just me, it mainly stems from paperwork is my least competent area and I always feel my marking suffers because of it lol

12. I get crazy bouts of self doubt. I call it 'THE FEAR' and yes, it needs to be in capital letters. I am fairly newly qualified - just completed my second year of teaching - and I fully expect to always be like this.

The worst was when I got chicken pox right before Christmas and was signed off by the doc for the two weeks before the two week Christmas break. Having four weeks off in the middle of the school year I was certain that I was going to come back to school in the new year completely unable to teach. I was having nightmares in the week before my return about the kids realising I was rubbish and making my life a misery and the staff realising I'm completely inadequate in every way and the GTCS suspending me.